Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: weekend projects

Steve, thanks. Its for the house. Wife asked for it and the kids hate them (bennie). This should be clock number 5 that gongs or chimes on the hour.

Thanks, Dan.

Sharon, thanks. Too many hobbies. I am busy making another leather holster today. Trying to learn leather working now. Made this holster but have to remake it. My friend want's a slightly different pattern.

I'm supposed to be working on a cabinet for my neighbor but I am at the door making step. I'll procrastinate another day on that task. My garage/shop is a complete mess as well which needs a thorough cleaning and reorganization.

Think I will just open a little water (Russian version) and mix in some tonic water and call it a day until I light of the grill and get to it tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4532.jpg  

2. Default

What a beautiful clock! Man that is definitely a heirloom.

Norm, thanks. Not quite heirloom quality. lol. Like most of my pieces lately I did not use high quality carpentry since it was for me and I'm getting impatient. Mostly butt joints and glue. In my younger days I would have used advanced joinery but would have taken 4x longer to build. If this stays together for 20 years I will be happy versus 100 years.

It sure looks like heirloom quality to me Oscar. Sounds like you are a man of many talents.

Mike
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

Very very nice Oscar, you sure stay busy!

Mike, Dale, thanks. I tried leather working years ago but never got good at it so trying again.

Too many hobbies but they are all so much fun its hard to stop learning.

Woodworking though has been the one constant hobby I've had for the last 30 years.

I created a series of abstract patterns that I wanted to do in oak plywood as tests this weekend. I saw one on pinterest and thought it was really interesting.

Got through with the first and saw a big pile of shavings and after the carve realized by dusk collector had stopped drawing air. Have to see if bag is full or if it just gave up its ghost tomorrow. Too late to try the other patterns.

I unfortunately also used an older bit and it did not carve great. First time I've carved plywood so not sure if this typical either. Had a lot of fuzzies afterwards that I had to sand off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4560.jpg  

Oscar,

You turned a piece of plywood into a masterpiece! I like it!!

Thank you but to be honest you really need good plywood and a sharp bit (which I didn't use). I was thinking of making a series of these to sell but I think its too much work to get perfect (design-wise).

Since I used home depot oak plywood it was okay but you can see the tear out and it was almost like it was still damp. I carved it at .5 and it only went through 3 layers of the 5. A 7 ply birch plywood would make a much better art piece.

Here is a smaller version of the pattern I used if anyone wants play with it. Get lucky with the perfect piece of plywood and it will look amazing.

If anyone carves it I would love to see how your version comes out.

Happy President's day. Spent the day removing wallpaper. So not too many weekend projects. Whoever invented wallpaper needs a good thrashing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW abstract small.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by oscarl48; 02-20-2017 at 04:03 PM.

10. Default

Ah Ha! That looks like raster and curve stuff to me.

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast