Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: weekend projects

Once again nice work Oscar. I have to agree that is some amazing art. Very high in detail

Default Native American Flute - Stylized Dragon Totem

Sorry haven't started any of the Halloween patterns. Got excited about my next batch of flutes.

I had given away most of the nice flutes I had made and only kept one for myself which I then bounced off some cement floor cracking it pretty good. I was able to glue it back and it sounds okay but made me realize I need more than one flute. Also you should only play them for 10-15 max due to wet out so having more than one helps if you want to play longer.

Designed a new totem for this batch. I like dragons. Carved in purple heart lumber at 4.25" x 1.8" x .35". Super happy with the design and pattern. For the size, it carved well.

Still refining my flute making process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragon totem red.jpg   IMG_7870v2. smallJPG.jpg   IMG_7872. smallJPG.jpg  

Really like the final product, did a little playing around with the cheap/easy pvc flutes in the past with the grandkids, nothing of the quality you've made. The main body looks like cedar??
    Thx for the pics.
    Rick H

Rick, it is. Its Easter red Cedar (aromatic cedar) along with purple heart and maple pieces. I think I screwed up the tuning but they play.

I still have a little bit of leatherwork to finish on these but here are the three flutes from this series. Pretty happy with them overall but I am not perfect on the tuning. Learning a little bit after each series. I really like how the totem looks on these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7895 small.JPG   IMG_7896 small.JPG   IMG_7904 small.JPG  

Looks like you're learning> Flutes look good and I'm sure you'll master the tuning. I like the turnings on the middle one.
    Rick H

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728