Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: weekend projects

Default weekend projects

Felt like a really busy weekend but got two of my honey does done. yay!

The first was a picture frame for a small canvas art piece my wife is entering into an art competition. Had to figure out how to frame a stretched canvas. Decided to frame around the internal canvas frame.

Her instructions for the picture frame were:
    1. It has to be beautiful.
    2. It has to be simple.
    3. Has to incorporate flowers since the competition is themed around flowers.
    4. It can't be better than her art piece.

Nothing hard about those instructions.

I wanted to show off the two frames I made. Only one was required. Somehow I measured wrong and made the first frame the wrong size. Had to go back and re-do it to the correct size.

The second project was a meditation bench. The entire reason I had created the ohm symbol a while ago. This honey do project had been on the list a while. Wife loved it so all is forgiven.

While I was waiting for the CW to finish carving I realized I have my few CW router bits floating around in different areas so decided to make a little storage box for them so I don't lose them. It all scrap pieces. I have a purple heart bottom, maple top and front, and poplar sides. Used a wooden hinge for the top. Drilling straight is still my nemesis. Hinge fingers cut on the band saw and then pin hole drilled with a hand drill. I wanted to see how fast it could be done this way. I hate to say it because I have spent so much time exploring other methods but this took maybe 5 minutes to cut. If I take better care and layout my lines correctly this should only take about 15 minutes to cut and fine tune. I am not giving up on the other ways but for utilitarian pieces this will be the way I go. Just takes a little bit of practice to get them right I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails daisy rosette frames.jpg   meditation bench front.jpg   meditation bench top.png   CW router bit box top.jpg  

CW router bit box.jpg   CW router bit inside.jpg  

Really nice looking projects. I like the way you combine different kinds of wood in your boxes and the wooden hinges make them unique.

Some more quick little projects. This is my version of the 90 OG unit patch. I wanted it to be a little meaner.

Also carved an emoji plaque that the wife wanted. Its a happy little plaque (need Bob Ross voice over for the last line).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 90 OG Patch.jpg   emoji plaque.jpg  

Both are nice projects! Emoji plaque is unique!

We finally had a gorgeous weekend which meant I could make some saw dust. I got ambitious after watching the PBS show Rough Cuts with Tommy Mac where he made a Chippendale foot stool. I have never made dragon feet legs before but decided to give it a try. First thing I discovered is if you leave (forget) your mortising machine in the rain it really doesn't like to work after that. So I had to cut mortises the old fashion what with drill and chisel. Learned real quick I am woefully out of shape. That is hard work. So I have the rails all carved and I have one leg about 90% and a second leg rough cut on the band saw only.

I am really surprised. The process is really forgiving. It is super time consuming to craft one of these legs but not horribly hard. You do have pay attention to what you are doing and take your time. Things I am not really known for. I screwed up one mortise which I will have to duplicate on the corresponding leg but should be a simple fix...I will make it the back of the stool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4171.jpg   IMG_4187.jpg  

6. Default

Really Nice, I saw some claw legs someone made once with the CW somewhere on the forum.

I made one as a test on my rotary jig. The stl is here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...897#post229897
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000850.JPG  

Great work Oscar. I notice the dead critter sitting in the background.

Dan, that is nice. Mugs, when I was stationed in North Dakota we had a buffalo farm outside the gate. I am just sorry I didn't pick up a pelt to go with it.

Its just nice to do real woodworking every once in awhile.

Very nice Oscar!

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast