Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: weekend projects

Thanks guys. It was a quick fun build.

Default Non-CW again

Sorry, again non-CW but another project completed off the list. Hopefully starting to make a small dent. Already have folks asking if I can make them one and my answer is heck no. Took way longer than I thought and a surprising amount of 2x4s. Around 28-32. I lost count. A ton of screws. No glue so as pieces decay I can replace easily. Again no pattern or plan but a rough idea in the brain. Not the way to build these things.

I need to do a bunch of test carves on some draft patterns. Hopefully next weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4898 small.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Sorry, again non-CW but another project completed off the list. Hopefully starting to make a small dent. Already have folks asking if I can make them one and my answer is heck no. Took way longer than I thought and a surprising amount of 2x4s. Around 28-32. I lost count. A ton of screws. No glue so as pieces decay I can replace easily. Again no pattern or plan but a rough idea in the brain. Not the way to build these things.

I need to do a bunch of test carves on some draft patterns. Hopefully next weekend.
    Nice looking swing! Ah come on now you got the hardest part done, that first one!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

lol. too true.

Now that I have kludged it together I should make some plans and cut sheet. Whenever someone asks me for one I can hand them the plans and I can say, "go to it and have fun and let me know how it came out".

Finally got a wonderful weekend to do some woodworking. Its been too cold in my garage to work up to now or too many honey do list priorities.

I love how this came out. It is always a surprise how wood will look when applying the finish. Its 3 pics at different angles to show the carving detail. Mahogany back, black walnut base and soft spruce for the actual carving. The spruce is stained with light and dark stain to bring out the carving. The mahogany and walnut is just lacquer to bring out the natural beauty of the wood.

The overall piece is 18 inches tall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails signe tegner carving.jpg  

Very nice project, Oscar!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

I'm impressed Oscar. Was this a three piece glue up? And is the young lady one of your designs? I know the feeling that comes when you can get a day in the shop to do just what you want. May we all have more days like that.

Michael, Sharon, thank you.

Sharon, that is a wonderful wish for all us woodworkers...More time in the shop.

The model is not mine. Its a carving of Signe Tegner that I thought it was beautiful. The 3d model is available from sketchfab and it was scanned by Mr. Geoffrey Marchal. I tweaked it a little bit to port into designer. It is a 3 piece glue up with 3 different species.

- O
    Last edited by oscarl48; 01-30-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Fantastic job Oscar.
    All Gave Some,
    Some Gave All.

My computer configuration and software used:
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Motherboard, AMD FX 6-core Processor Black Edition, 32 Gig DDR 3 Ram, Gigabyte HD 6450 Video Card with 1 Gig DDR 3 ram, Windows 10
    Designer 2.007, Designer 3.102, Pattern Editor, Centerline, Conforming Vectors, 2d Tools, 3d Tools, DXF Importer, STL Importer and Rotary Jig.

mike, thanks.

Sharon, you got me thinking. Could I have made a pattern like that so I did a quick experiment.

With the software tools I have (blender) I can make something like that with a little bit of time. I only spent about an hour building this test pattern. To do it right it would probably take me a few days. But...do I have the artistic vision and talent...nope, not even close.

The software does most of the work. My wife calls it cheating. I call it efficiency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW test pattern.png  

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast