Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: weekend projects

Default Native American flutes with stand

Built a quick flute stand for all my flutes. 10 flutes so far with 2 not really working for different reasons (I messed up at different areas). Cedar, walnut, and poplar.

Next week time to do a deep cleaning on the CW. The cedar left a lot of pitch on the inside of the machine thanks to the speed not being optimal but can't complain too much. It did a great job of routing a straight line which I could not do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6447 small.JPG  

That's lovely Oscar! I have used a 3/4in core box (?) bit to create a 1/2 circle trough to rest plaques in.

Thank you.

How did the 3/4" bit cut. I got a lot of burning with the 7/8" cove bit. I stayed with the machine through the cuts to make sure there was no real fire and just a lot of smoke.

Though it did a great job at the task.

I told it that there was a 1/2 ball nose, and there was a little burn, but light sanding took it out. I use a brass brush on my bits before every use, just to make sure there is no pitch or anything to dull it up.

I did the same with assigning the 1/2 ball nose. This weekend is a deep clean for my machine. I did not clean the bit in between carves and there is a nice build up on parts of the machine.

Tried my hand at carving a totem for my newest design. Pitiful and sad are the best adjectives.

Tomorrow after a good cleaning throwing these designs and see how they carve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6461 small.JPG   2020-05-05 22_17_01-Window.png  

A fun design. Really like how it came out. Flute looks great but sounds not so good. Have to do some tweaking tomorrow on it. Design coming along.

Took out the bit today for the cleaning. A layer of burned pitch glued to the bit. I am surprised I didn't have a bon fire. Lesson learned is to clean the bit after every cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6463 small.jpg  

Looks great, like the cedar coloring. Only flute I ever tried to make was out of PVC. Might have to give it a go.
    Rick

Rick, they are surprisingly forgiving to make. PVC flutes are pretty awesome too.

The cedar really give a warm sound to the flutes. My least favorite is the poplar. The sound is not as warm but still very nice.

I bought Charlie Mato-Toyela's book on flute making but he has shared all his techniques and processes on his youtube channel (Bluebearflutes). Awesome resource for flute making.

You can also make a complete functional flute with the CW fairly easily. I did not because I wanted the woodworking challenge.

Regardless, I hope to take a stab at making one. They are a whole lot of fun to make.

Today I am working on totem designs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-05-07 10_44_27-Window.png  

Wanted to show off my blinged out flute. Ordered some painted feathers and my wife had some semi-precious cabochons she let me use. Doesn't make the flute sound any better but it really brings out the brown in my eyes. lol. I know that made no sense.

Also some of the totem designs I've been making. Haven't carved them except the hawk yet but we'll see which ones I really like when I am done. My wife wants the owl with the folded feathers for hers so that will be one for sure.

Also, my beautiful, wonderful wife looked at her flute and told me, "This is okay but you need to make me a flute in low C...or else, because that is my favorite and not this!" (she really didn't say that, but she did say, "what a beautiful flute" and then quietly put it away and then very nicely ask for one in low C.)

I am out of cedar so off to mill one of the slabs into usable lumber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6479 small.JPG   2020-05-11 16_01_15-Window.png  

Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast