Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: weekend projects

Outstanding!!! I like the combination of the three different woods.

Another beautiful project. I keep kicking myself when I see these you post, just got to make some time.
    Thx for sharing, Rick H

Now that is cool!

Great work Oscar, I'm sure they will be enjoyed.

Guys, thank you. I am semi-pleased with it. The paddle is for my daughter. I finally sent pictures and she was happy with it.

There are some design choices I would change if I had to redo it but overall I am happy with the dimensions and patterns. That's what happens when you start cutting without any plans and only a rough idea in your head.

I need to learn how to do more knots as well. I believe the ends are supposed to have turks head knots but that knot still eludes me. I think I may have a mental block. I try to follow youtube tutorials but half way through making the knot I find my self completely lost and with a tangle of paracord in my hands. lol

This is the fun of the CW. Commander is retiring and on of his staff, and my friend, asked me to make a custom frame so they can show case his going away gifts. Some autographed astronaut pictures. The commander is a huge NASA/astronomy fan.

A quick afternoon pattern making and 6 custom patterns for the frame.

The frame will be black walnut with an accent wood (not sure yet what species).

On the other side of the equation. Have I mentioned I hate making frames. Only because my friend asked otherwise it would have been a big no. I always have to fiddle with the joints and they are never perfect. Yes I could be build some jigs, but did I mention I hate making frames.

Making the patterns on the other hand was fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-07-01 19_14_39-Window.png  

Very nice work Oscar, please show us the finished project!

Very nice Indeed!!!!!

Thanks gents.

I will post when completed. I have the main frame glued up. Only a few minor gaps between the joints.

Used biscuits to join them but may add splines for decoration. I have enough mahogany to add an inner frame accent (also to hide the rabbet mistakes I made).

The patterns carved well. So happy with that since I didn't test carve prior to.

Space themed picture frame. 28 3/4"x 28 3/4". Black walnut with African Mahogany accent. Black felt on plywood for the backing.

The weather was horrid. Hot and muggy. Kept dripping sweat all over the frame even though I was wiping every 30 seconds or so. Like always the joints are not perfect and it is about 1/16 out of square so not noticeable but not what I like.

Good enough for government work. lol. Which it is. Commander's going away gift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails space frame.JPG   space frame1.jpg   space frame2.JPG   space frame3.JPG  

Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast