Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: weekend projects

Once again nice work Oscar. I have to agree that is some amazing art. Very high in detail

Default Native American Flute - Stylized Dragon Totem

Sorry haven't started any of the Halloween patterns. Got excited about my next batch of flutes.

I had given away most of the nice flutes I had made and only kept one for myself which I then bounced off some cement floor cracking it pretty good. I was able to glue it back and it sounds okay but made me realize I need more than one flute. Also you should only play them for 10-15 max due to wet out so having more than one helps if you want to play longer.

Designed a new totem for this batch. I like dragons. Carved in purple heart lumber at 4.25" x 1.8" x .35". Super happy with the design and pattern. For the size, it carved well.

Still refining my flute making process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragon totem red.jpg   IMG_7870v2. smallJPG.jpg   IMG_7872. smallJPG.jpg  

Really like the final product, did a little playing around with the cheap/easy pvc flutes in the past with the grandkids, nothing of the quality you've made. The main body looks like cedar??
    Thx for the pics.
    Rick H

Rick, it is. Its Easter red Cedar (aromatic cedar) along with purple heart and maple pieces. I think I screwed up the tuning but they play.

I still have a little bit of leatherwork to finish on these but here are the three flutes from this series. Pretty happy with them overall but I am not perfect on the tuning. Learning a little bit after each series. I really like how the totem looks on these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7895 small.JPG   IMG_7896 small.JPG   IMG_7904 small.JPG  

Looks like you're learning> Flutes look good and I'm sure you'll master the tuning. I like the turnings on the middle one.
    Rick H

Default New clock design

My sister asked for a custom clock she can gift for Christmas. I asked her what she wanted i.e. wall clock, mantel, grandfather, .... She replied, "oh anything. Just make it pretty but no dragons or vampires." There went my first choice. Christmas vampires are in, I think?!?

Made this design focused on hibiscus flowers.

Really happy with the piece. Black walnut and mahogany. Hibiscus flower pattern on the mahogany panels. About 18"x 11" x 4".

Now for the boring part of woodworking. Finishing. First coat of tung oil is on. In 24 hours I'll apply a second coat and depending on how it looks I'll add a third coat 24 hours after that. In about a week, if the tung oil is dry, I'll apply some oil poly as the last coat. Two days to build and a week and a half to apply a finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0034.jpg   IMG_0037v2.jpg   IMG_0036.jpg  

The clock frame looks awesome and I'm sure will be liked by many. The wood choices are great, the colors really offset each other. The striping makes it all pop, to draw in the viewers attention. Are the stripes inlay, from the photos they look like inlay. The inner stripes look to be a bit more yellow than the outer stripes. Great project and workmanship as always Oscar.

Hope she has a prominent place to display it. Obviously will become a family heirloom. As above, beautiful, etc, etc
    Rick H

Beautiful work, Oscar!!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast