Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: weekend projects

Saw this on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P24ieuYDSI0.

This is my variation on the design. It's purple heart with a beech handle. I have some scrap mahogany and padauk so I will be making 2 more mallets. The reason I am sharing this is I already glued up the mahogany head but the padauk is still a board. I realized it'd be pretty cool to carve something into it but I am unsure what design to use.

Any ideas or thoughts? It can't be too complicated. The head is 3x6 inches so pretty small. Also padauk is fairly dark (orangy/brown) as a limitation.

The purple heart mallet is going onto a display shelf. I love how it came out. The mahogany one will be my actual work/use mallet and the padauk one will probably join the purple heart one. If nothing pops up I'll go with a Celtic/Thor's hammer design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4930 small.JPG  

No suggestions so going with a mini-Thors hammer theme design. Still tweaking but have this so far. Size is 6x4 inches. I will be turning the handle for this one as well.

I'll probably start it tomorrow depending on how I feel. Flu is sweeping through East Texas like most places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW Thors hammer design.png  

After many tweaks I have the design I am going with but this morning we woke up to 32 degrees and a high of ~45 degrees. Not sure if I want to run the CW at that temp but more importantly I don't know if I want to run me at those temps. Its cold. I remeasured my scrap board and I have enough for a 4x8 in mallet so going with that.

P.S. It gotten into the 50's but it feels even colder to me since this morning. I did spend a little bit of time finishing up my second mallet. It African Mahogany and oak handle. 3 danish oil coats. It needs a few more but I'll apply them another day. I said this would be my actual use mallet, but again, I love how it looks. Not sure if I want to bang it around. I will drill and pin the handle later as well. Its supposed to be warmer tomorrow so I'll try to carve then. Card is loaded in the machine ready to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW Thors mallet design.png   IMG_4934.jpg  
    Last edited by oscarl48; 02-03-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Ended up with this beast for a mallet. The head is 9x4 inches in Padauk and oak handle. That is the color of the wood with only oil applied. After a few years it'll oxidize to a soft orangy brown. Padauk carves beautifully. This is carved on normal with no sanding at all on the carving. Now have to figure out how to display it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4941.jpg   IMG_4938.jpg  

That came out great, Oscar! It will still look great even after the Padauk color changes. I think it will still have a nice contrast with the Oak handle.

I found a webpage that describes how certain woods change color over time. It's a nice reference for folks who are spending a lot of money for certain color wood so they avoid a "surprise" after the wood color changes. Knowing what it will do upfront can have a bearing on what wood one chooses for their projects.

Here is a link to that page:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...-exotic-woods/
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Making an accent frame for some tile I laid down in front of the fire place. The tile is a bit taller than the rest of the flooring I just laid down so wanted some sort of transition and thought a nice frame would do nicely. I should be able to carve it tomorrow. My wife requested cherry blossoms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW cherry blosson ornamental element.png  

Oscar one little trick for a tapered transition piece is to run your piece upside down through a plainer and ship one side to make the taper. Very nice Carve.

Roger, thanks for the tip. I think I need to redo it. I carved it 4 in wide and it seems too big for me. My wife told me to lay in front of the tile to see if it grew on me but its not. So probably this weekend have to re-carve and go with with 2.5 or 3 in wide instead.

Oscar for this I would take a strip of wood and lay it on the floor to see how it looks .The widest transition I have done is 2 inch unless there is a wheel chair in your house.Good luck with your carve.

Default Time for a new clock

I still have an electronic clock that I haven't used so I think its time for a new clock.

Rough mock up of the clock. It started as a joke but the wife actually liked it and so do I. The carved part will be the claw holding the retaining circle for the clock face and clock. The spindles I'll turn on the lathe. I have some African Mahogany left so will go with that. Should be interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mock up for clock.png   CW dragon claw holding clock.png  

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast