Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secret Project

Default Secret Project

About a year ago I responded to a thread a member had started for ideas for a child's toy box project. I don't know how far he got, but at the same time our first grand child was on the way and I began thinking about building a toy box as a gift for his or her 2nd or 3rd birthday or Christmas. Based on an idea for a treasure chest (girl) or pirate chest (boy) I began collecting images and carve files for things that could be applied to such a project. Then last October my daughter presented us with a baby boy. Unfortunately I did mention the toy box idea to my wife, who mentioned it to my daughter, who mentioned it to....you know. Now, about a year later I have the materials collected, the Designer files created and am looking forward to a leisurely paced project to culminate in a pirate chest/toy box for my grandson's 2nd or 3rd birthday. THEN it happened. I was informed that his 1st birthday party coming up in mid November is a pirate themed extravaganza....and the toy chest is the center piece of the event. Oh shoot! (or something along those lines). Now the project is on a schedule and has a completion date! Not anticipated. So here we go...project progress photos attached. That is why any of my future projects will be SECRET...and not revealed until completed.

Sorry, seems no matter what I do the photos appear upside down on the post.

I'll continue to post photos of progress to show my pain...uh...I mean my joy in getting this toy box completed ON TIME.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0830.JPG   IMG_0831.JPG   IMG_0832.JPG   IMG_0833.JPG  

IMG_0834.JPG  

Lol! Look forward to watching your progress!!
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Hi Ron,

Great story and a great project! We know all your secrets!

Off-topic: Your photos appear upside down here on the forum...by any chance are you using an iphone to take your photos? If so, you can make sure your photos will appear "right-side up" when taken in landscape mode - just hold the phone with the Home button on the right and the volume buttons on the bottom. Now your photos will appear right side up when posting on forums, when emailing to someone, viewing on a PC, etc. (Same holds true for iphone video when recording in landscape mode...make sure the Home button is on the right side so the videos will play right side up when played back on all other devices)
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Looks like a very thought out project to me. Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Ron,

Great story and a great project! We know all your secrets!

Off-topic: Your photos appear upside down here on the forum...by any chance are you using an iphone to take your photos? If so, you can make sure your photos will appear "right-side up" when taken in landscape mode - just hold the phone with the Home button on the right and the volume buttons on the bottom. Now your photos will appear right side up when posting on forums, when emailing to someone, viewing on a PC, etc. (Same holds true for iphone video when recording in landscape mode...make sure the Home button is on the right side so the videos will play right side up when played back on all other devices)
    That's a great tip Michael. I use an Android phone and have the same problem. I usually convert the pics to a .png and flip them in Photoshop. The thought never occurred to me to flip the phone over when I take the picture. (Duh).
    Steve

6. Default

Its looking like a fun project that will become a family heirloom. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Thanks for the iphone tip...I should have figured that out before...but on a tight time schedule you know...from now on I'll take photos with the home button on the bottom or right...unless I'm standing on my head....or in the southern hemisphere....

Default Progress

All 18 boards are carved. As usual some issues came up but were resolved and the carving went on. Next is to trim all the boards to size and start on the joinery. My plan is to assemble the "box" in three parts, bottom bands and bottom, center section on the four sides and a top band. The bottom and top section members will be biscuit joined and glued. The center "sides" will be dove tailed together and glued. Then the three sections will be biscuit joined and glued vertically together. Then there's the segmented, sloped sided top....another adventure I'm still figuring out....

So am I on schedule? Lets see 8/19 to 10/20....8 weeks and change....maybe....

Took the picture with my iphone, home button to the right...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0837[1].JPG  

Default Boards Together

Well a week later and the chest is assembled. I have to add the interior spring supports, the front "key" handle and the hinge. Still lots of sanding and finishing to go, but since I'm on a schedule....back to work....

At lest now the photos are right side up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0842.JPG   IMG_0843.JPG  

Clearly a masterpiece! Great work!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast