Thread: wooden hingfes - first try.

Default wooden hingfes - first try.

Here is my plan. I haven't carved it yet. It is in 1/2" stock and needs 1/8" rod - maybe wire coat hanger will work for testing. Sorry, I did it with version 3. Anyone can try it, I might tomorrow.
    Clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hing 1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Great idea!

Good luck. Hope they work.

P.S. Quick note. If possible you want to cut into end grain instead of long grain for strength if the hinge will see a lot of use or if it will possibly see some abuse.

This design takes care of ensuring you have a straight groove for the pin (my nemesis).

I looked at this design but chose against it because I thought it left too little material using a 1/4" wood dowel for the pin.

I like the idea, me being a welder I have 1/8 stainless welding tig wire laying around ...

Well it worked - quite well actually. The spacing between the knuckle's or what ever they are called was just right. I put the filler piece in one of the pieces, marked the numbers, and separated then with a band saw. I waxed the rod and installed it then glued the filler pieces in. I cut them flush with a small hand saw and removed the surface marks whit one pass over the "Sand Flee" (I have the original version - see RJR Studios). I used a knife from a wood carving set to start shaping the filler pieces then used a narrow piece of sand paper thru the hinge gap to finish them. Took 45 min to carve and probably that to put it together and clean it up.
    Clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3677.JPG   100_3676.JPG   100_3675.JPG   100_3674.JPG  

Nice job. I can think of a hundred uses.
    Leo Davenport
    Enjoy Life Carve Something everyday

Nice work must try.

I am thinking of photo/memories albums for the grandkids nest year. Gotta start early because I got swamped last year with order from another website - not mine so much - and had trouble fitting every thing in, even with two machines running. I think I found 2 sources to ring binder mechanisms but you have to buy in quantity - 50 of so for about $60. If anyone is interested I will put together a tutorial on how to lay out the hinges - general so can be adapted to what ever situation you have.
    Clint