Thread: Intarsia patterns

Default Intarsia patterns

I've noticed that there are only a few patterns using intarsia designs. I would think that cnc would be a natural fit for this. I've thought of jumping in and designing a few patterns for myself but wanted to hear everyone's thoughts. I have had very poor results doing cut outs but half I can attribute to poor practices on my part and the other half to imperfections in lumber (a natural medium). Before I expend the time expenditure what are the experiences out there.

Dan's gorgeous Escheresque bird's got me thinking about this again. Thanks Dan.

Thanks to any and all replies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails intarsia flower.png  

I think it is a great idea. I have seen them at craft shows and thought the same as you. Seems like a natural thing to try.

3. Default

I also have wanted to try this but I was not sure the accuracy of the cutting on the CW was good enough to do this well. Not really sure though since I have not tried it.

okay. Designing the patterns doesn't seem too hard. Will just take time and some artistic imagination. Built a quick hawk head test pattern to see the process of making it. I already see there are several ways of making them. I was not too careful on this version and it is sloppy. I'll probably go back and create an new one later.

Unfortunately, I have like literally 10 other projects I am working on right now. I'll see when I can get to do a test cut and see how they come out.

Dan I am pulling your jig out for this one. I am also not sure how they will cut, though a little sandpaper may be all that's needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hawk cutout01.PNG   hawk cutout.PNG  

I can see how you can really go crazy doing these kind of projects. I re-did the pattern but being much more careful this time. All the edges aligning perfectly on this model since I used the edges to create the adjoining piece. This has 24 individual cut pieces. I picked 4 different colors at random to show the different piece parts. The cutout could be one or more species but careful wood selection and color is needed to bring the sculpture alive. That or a good selection of stains. I can see how a sculpture of this nature can very quickly go to hundreds of pieces for a larger image.

With the CW you can also carve the surface before doing the cutout to create amazing pieces of art. If it works my mind is a swirl on the possibilities.

Dang it! There are too many things I want to do with not enough time or money. lol

The picture is of a blender 3d model that I will use to create the patterns. I have not ported it to the CW or cut it out yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hawk cutout02.PNG  

Off to bed but wanted to share some of the progress I've made. Ported the pattern into CW and ready to cut. Machine says about an hour to cut. I enlarged the overall project to about 9" by 9". What is nice is you can resize to any size you want the overall project to be.

Started a second pattern. Enclosed is what I have so far. I will port to the CW tomorrow. Not sure how many of these I will make for myself. Process is pretty tedious to create these.

I am using third party software tools to design these but there is no reason you couldn't use the CW 2d software to do these type of patterns. Just have to see how they cut.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hawk cut out.PNG   lion head.png  

I have the day off so will be doing a little woodworking. I have two projects for the wife. A custom frame and a meditation bench. If I can get far enough on those two I will try to cut out one of these patterns.

I ported the pattern into Designer last night and set up the cut sheet. I will be using poplar and then staining the different areas different colors to simulate different species. I don't want to use good wood just yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lion head cutout design.PNG   lions head cutout.PNG  

A danger with doing deep cuts. I snapped by cutting bit. Two of the three tabs failed. I don't remember who it was that recommended always using 1/4 tabs. I'll do that in the future. I just ordered two more bits but this project is on hold until I get them.