Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: long bit and flex shaft

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting the photos of your projects. Man, you have made a lot of GREAT projects! Very impressive.

Just a quick note about the motor brushes...I don't know if the majority of your problems are related to the cut motor or not (I suspect the bit might be "grabbing the wood" occasionally during some of your deep carves causing some of the error messages). However, we can't always tell by looking if the brushes need to be replaced. Mine have been worn down almost to the "nub" and were obviously in need of replacement and was easily spotted just by looking at 'em.

But I had a surprise one day when a friend came over with his machine because he was getting a lot of cut motor errors. First instinct was "needs new brushes". I took out the brushes and they appeared to have plenty of carbon left, so I dismissed the need for replacement...but, since I had some extra brushes on hand, I went ahead and replaced them anyway (thinking it wouldn't make any difference). Well, to my surprise, THAT WAS THE PROBLEM! After replacing what I thought were good brushes with a lot of life left in them, the machine worked perfectly after installing the new ones.

I don't know how I missed your post. I have it caving the bird house pattern with the 1/8 long bit to see if that makes a difference. when its done I will try some new brushes. I think I have some laying around... or I will barow some from one of my other carvewright Im not using... Thanks for the compliment I really wish I could keep this thing working so I can get on to new ideas... your work is vary nice as well!
    Im thinking of selling them at this point! Iv got a newer C, a B (I believe it was working when I put it away!) and a C (I know it was having a little issue, but could not pin point it) I have another for parts, with a few parts left on it as well. I have lots of extra parts and bits. the C has low hours, the b and c Im sure have a lot. Iv also have dust collectors on the C and B... Have any idea what they would be worth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_215059080_iOS.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	80071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_215634443_iOS.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	80072Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_215639040_iOS.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	80073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_215645570_iOS.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	80074Attachment 80075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_215843521_iOS.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	80076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_215858512_iOS.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	80077

Are you carving on normal, best or optimal? Could the bit be dull? Look closely, maybe the bit has a bad grind. This is strange.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Are you carving on normal, best or optimal? Could the bit be dull? Look closely, maybe the bit has a bad grind. This is strange.

I have tried normal best and optimal... it carves about the same amount then stops... Its carving right now with the 1/8 long bit on normal and seams to have gotten further so far and still going. so Im thinking that maybe it is the bit... Iv only carved a handful of things with the 1/16 long bit and only in pine... for 80$ that sucks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123