Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new pattern designs

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    I used only the 1/16" bit but they were carved on 7in by 12in boards so they were carved with relatively medium to large form factors.

For any future users, please download and ensure the patterns work for you at the size you are carving. Detail sometimes doesn't translate down or up if drastically changing from the size the pattern was developed.
    If you have the Pattern Sculptor, you may want to make a second pattern option for some of those patterns so that they have less detail. Use the Smoothing tool, so that your great pattern can also be used in a much smaller version.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thank you for the compliment. I do not have the pattern sculptor add-on yet. I keep eyeballing it though. It may simplify some of the work I am doing with the 3d modeling software I use. I just haven't made the time to play with it to see what the benefits over my current software tools would be.

With my current software tools I can optimize a pattern for a specific size. I typically use 6" for my patterns as the standard though I have deviated on some patterns i.e. the fire truck. Optimized at 12"x4".

In the enclosed picture I have a straight stl port of one of my models into the CW with no post processing clean up of the patterns. I optimized the top pattern for 6" and bottom pattern for 1.8" with my 3d modeling software. I then copied and shrunk the 6" pattern to 1.8" and also copied and expanded the 1.8" pattern to 6". Applied bit optimization to best to all patterns. You can see the subtle differences (loss in detail) on the modified patterns from the original in both the large going to small and the small going to big. I do examine at how my patterns look at different sizes to ensure not too much detail is lost.

My goal is to have patterns that lose little to no detail when changing sizes on them. That is an advanced pattern making skill I have not quite mastered.

Edit: Some of my submitted patterns for the pattern depot hit the mark on that quality but I freely admit it was more by luck than skill on my part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gun example.PNG  

Seven hours later I am calling it good. Its a chimera sculpted in blender. I'll test carve it today and if it comes out I'll throw in to the depot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW chimera sculpt.PNG  

Super happy with the pattern. Here is a quick plaque of the image. The chimera is about 4.5" x 5" on the plaque. So real happy on how much detail was captured. It only gets better on a larger form factor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4071.jpg  

Excellent carve Oscar. Great pattern.

Sharon, thank you. It was a fun build but difficult due to my skill level. In the end I am really pleased. My brain is already thinking on projects I can use it with. Here is a possible family sign I am playing with design wise. I think I am going to call the first family sign I made with the dragon practice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails family sign concept 1.PNG  

I think you could show the patterns off better if you placed them in a carved out area.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

Clint. I believe you are right.

I was on a short lunch break before going back out working on all of today's projects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails family sign concept 2.PNG  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12