Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new pattern designs

Default new pattern designs

Its been a busy weekend test carving some new patterns I have been developing. Quick hamsa hand design carved on 7.5" by 10" poplar board at .25 depth on normal quality. Draft on medium due to carving on poplar. I was surprised there was minimal tear out even with the complexity of the patterns. The draft helped. Overall really pleased with this design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hamsa hand.jpg  

This pattern has been giving me fits. Did the original pattern, carved it. Had issues. Tweaked design, re-carved. Had issues. Redid design, re-carved. Had issues. Tweaked design, re-carved. Finally happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fire truck.jpg  

Great results on both. I like the outside board shape of the first one, really makes the carving stand out! Keep up the great work!

Thanks. Here is another one I worked on this weekend.

This pattern was a lot of fun to build. Once I had the basic patterns built it was a lot like a Mr. Potato head where you can mix and match to get new patterns.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emojis.PNG  

Nicely Done. If you would please try the Setting at Best on one more and compare the difference between the two , you might be surprised . It may add a little more time . You judge between the two. Capt Barry

Thank you. I just signed up as a new pattern vendor. These were proof of concept carvings for the patterns only. I am carving and evaluating them before submitting. No specific use for them other than going into my library. Here a few of the patterns I've built.

Not all the patterns will be submitted to the pattern depot. Some will be kept for my own library and some will be shared with the community here. For my own projects, I primarily use maple or walnut so I can get away with using normal carve setting usually and still retain a lot of the detail.

Connie, realized in wrong category so delete thread if needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4042.jpg   IMG_4043.jpg   IMG_4044.jpg   IMG_4048.jpg  

IMG_4047.jpg  

Came out okay. I still have a lot to learn on finishing these projects. I think laminating two types of wood may be easier for me than trying to stain different shades. May try that on a smaller scale this weekend if I have time. I also didn't notice that when I wiped the stain my rag left a lot of fuzzies until I sprayed the poly. Once completely dry I'll go back with some steel wool and try to clean that up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4051.jpg   IMG_4053.jpg  

Looks like a great project for lamination of two different woods. Doesn't look bad as it is. Nice layout and patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Thank you. I just signed up as a new pattern vendor. These were proof of concept carvings for the patterns only. I am carving and evaluating them before submitting. No specific use for them other than going into my library. Here a few of the patterns I've built.

Not all the patterns will be submitted to the pattern depot. Some will be kept for my own library and some will be shared with the community here. For my own projects, I primarily use maple or walnut so I can get away with using normal carve setting usually and still retain a lot of the detail.

Connie, realized in wrong category so delete thread if needed.
    Did you carve these with the 1/16" or the 1/32" carving bit? There is a lot of detail in the patterns.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

I used only the 1/16" bit but they were carved on 7in by 12in boards so they were carved with relatively medium to large form factors.

For any future users, please download and ensure the patterns work for you at the size you are carving. Detail sometimes doesn't translate down or up if drastically changing from the size the pattern was developed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast