Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New/Old

Default New/Old

Hello everyone. My name is Michael and I have had a CW machine for a while but have not used it much. Now that the oil field is in its current state I have a lot of time on my hands and am getting more into my CW.
    I know a little but have a lot to learn and hope I can get advice and tips from you guys and gals. I make mostly signs but want to get into projects as well.

I Have a new sign I carved yesterday by request of a customer and need advice on how to stain it. I know, Brush on wipe off. LOL I will attach a photo so you can see what I am talking about. I am trying to stain the background without getting the stain on the letters. Any Ideas?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160128_102003596.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	3.38 MB 
ID:	79730

I look forward to talking to everyone and hopefully find some CW users in my area (Beaumont, Texas Area) to meat with and learn.

Have a Blessed Day!

Michael

Looks great!

I would suggest you start adding a draft to your text. It will beef up the bottom of your letters and give the bit a path where it is less likely to chip away at the top part of the text.

As for staining without getting on letters...you might stain it all and then GENTLY sand the top of the letters. Someone else, may have a better idea.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thanks Lynn.
    I will defiantly add some draft. Thank you.
    I tried staining the whole thing and then sanding the letters. The stain soaked all the way through and left me with a mess. I may need to try a harder wood. Would that help?

I would suggest for staining, to use a base useing a sander sealer for the whole board before staining that way it don't bleed useing the two color stains.

Have you considered staining the whole thing then using a paint pen for the letters. Paint pens work extremely well for letters with flat tops like you have.

NICE WORK.... Recommend putting another FLAT board on top with some weight as it could start to CUP Quickly due to moisture and the open center area... At least until you stabilize it with finish....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Great looking sign. Nice proportions and easy to read. I don't know if you are willing to re-carve it but, as Connie said, I would add some draft to the lettering. You can also add a picture frame border to "spiffy" it up a bit. There are many in the Pattern Depot.
    Steve

I tried that on the first on that Dale. It is now firewood. LOL I am looking for the natural wood grain look on some of the letters as in the pic attached. I also thought about sanding sealer just on the letters but not sure if that will work either. Thanks for the ReplyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	received_1079745898705310.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	79734. I have a lot to learn.

Would sanding sealer still allow the stain to penetrate?

Nice carve. To prevent cupping. I glue my blanks rotating the grain. Cut strips at about 3 inch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast