Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Candle Mold

I'm curious about the depth .75 puts it though the board, and it takes a lot of material out in one pass. any suggestions or am I wrong?

Please do not use the pattern as is. Its meant to be modified depending on how large or small you are making the candle mold. It will be small because it was designed around 3/4 stock lumber. So if the width is an 1 at the base you want .5 for the depth. If its .75 then depth should be .325...etc.

On my machine I have had zero problems carving all the way through the 3/4 in stock. That may or not may the case with different machines so please modify the pattern appropriately.

For deeper that .75 the pattern has to be redone as an multi-board stl project.

Steve, its hard to tell from the images because they are not close enough to see how they line up. I separated the patterns and then got them together so you can see how they line up a little better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bolt candle separated.PNG  

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Maybe I'm not seeing this right but it you flip one side over and lay it on top of the other side the threads will be twisting the opposite way.
    And so they should! Imagine a glass bolt. The threads will look crossed as you look through it.

I'm thinking this would be great for the rotary jig.. drill hole to size with a forsner bit for the wax
    Last edited by aokweld101; 02-03-2016 at 02:42 PM.

On second thought that won't work.... stupid hit me..

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I think it is always nice if one can construct one's mpc in Designer itself. Sometimes it is a challenge, but in the end, you have something which is more straight forward and easy to edit.

(Thank you kelsky for this problem. I am a beta tester and have known for awhile that the rail sweep was not very smooth. Thanks to your question, I just realized why.)

Decided to go with rail sweep. I can change it around easily at this point. StevenNelson46 has the best solution, but it requires buying some additional software and the learning curve associate. Not quite worth it yet. But it produced a much better piece in the end.

I found that if you stretch out the cross section curve, the result is much smoother. (You have to tweak a little to still get a circular arc back on the board.)

Edit: compare to http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...381#post255381
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Candle Mold.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 02-03-2016 at 03:47 PM. Reason: link

Thanks all for your help on this. I've got this pretty much down for the rounded candles. Now, one more challenge I am working on. Need a square candle but need the tip rounded at the top. Probably start the rounding process .5" or so away. Using all the techniques here, I can't seem to get it going. Any help appreciated.

Thx
    Kelsky

Post what you have.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast