Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Candle Mold

Default Candle Mold

I am working on a candle mold where I want to create each half and put them together to pour in the wax. Picture a tall thin candle, it tapers at the end to a point. I just can't seem to get the right elements to make this happen. My first attempt here just isn't working. I am attaching the 3.1 version of my attempt. Take a look and let me know of another way to use the software to get a seamless taper from the shaft of the candle to the point. Also, I am looking to simply adapt this for various sizes, lengths and heights. Thank-you in advance for any feedback.

test2.mpc

My first thought would be to use rail sweep. It, however, does not seem to produce very smooth surfaces. Some sanding will be required. What I did was make a candle with rail sweep and then make a pattern from it. Inverting the pattern then gives a pretty good mold. (If you try and make the mold directly using rail sweep, the scale z works the wrong way and the tip is too deep.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails candle molds.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I'm at work but I can do some examples this afternoon. It's a 30 second exercise to create negative images for candles. Learned the technique for my wife's soap making hobby.

Is there a specific dimension you are looking for? Super easy but entails using blender 3d (3d graphics program) and stl importer.

4. Default

I am interested in this also but I only have basic designer, could you share the ptn for this? Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by normrichards View Post
    I am interested in this also but I only have basic designer, could you share the ptn for this? Thank You.
    My pattern was only meant to be an example of what could be produced with rail sweep. It may not be that useful. (Note that if you alter the size of it in 1.187, you get the edge flooring problem of 1.187.)

Is this what you are looking for? The MPC was saved as version 1.187 and the pattern can be used in any version.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-02-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    Steve

That is it. I'd like to understand how this is done as I will be putting many variations into this. Were you able to do this in the carverwight software or an external app?

Quote Originally Posted by kelsky View Post
    That is it. I'd like to understand how this is done as I will be putting many variations into this. Were you able to do this in the carverwight software or an external app?
    Maybe it could have been done using the Designer only but I found it easier to create the pattern in Aspire 8. You may use the files as you wish. I am not concerned about copyright rules with anything I give away. I'm just a hobbyist and it is not a national treasure.

EDIT: Oh, BTW, glad I could help.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 02-02-2016 at 12:03 PM.
    Steve

I think it is always nice if one can construct one's mpc in Designer itself. Sometimes it is a challenge, but in the end, you have something which is more straight forward and easy to edit.

(Thank you kelsky for this problem. I am a beta tester and have known for awhile that the rail sweep was not very smooth. Thanks to your question, I just realized why.)

Okay I am stumped. I can't figure out how to make my pattern work in designer 1.xx. It looks great in designer 2.xx but looks horrible in designer 1.xx. What am I doing wrong?

You have to unselect floor feather and set feather to zero. To modify you can change height and length and then change depth appropriately.

Setting as shown are depth .25 height 100 angle 90 size 10.00 and .75. and then mirrored.

Edit: sorry mpc in designer 2.xx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails simple candle mold.PNG  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast