Thread: FEBRUARY 2016 Project of the Month - The Pendant Finial Wall Sconce Pair

Default FEBRUARY 2016 Project of the Month - The Pendant Finial Wall Sconce Pair

Hello,

This project is a pair of classic wall sconces with a decorative full-round pendant finial attached underneath each shelf for a touch of class! All components are machined from a single board for each wall sconce. Simply run the project twice to yield a pair of sconces.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. Each assembled sconce is about 4.75" wide x 16.75” long x 5" deep.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
    • Wall_Sconce.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions... Two Boards: 0.75" x 11" x 23"

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) Two 0.375" x 2.75" wooden dowels, a drill, glue, four #6 x 1" wood screws

4) Sandpaper, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on the Pendant Finial Sconce samples made from Select Pine:

• Applied Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Wheat
    • Several coats of Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic spray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plain-sconces_521x803.png   lit-sconces_550x803.png   Finial_Wall_Sconces_430x430.png  
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-31-2016 at 10:50 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Very attractive project Michael! Hope to be carving them before the week is over! Thanks for your great projects!
    dbemus

Beautiful project. Great job Michael!
    Heather

Thank you! I'm looking at mine and am thinking I may do some Tole painting on the back panels if I can decide what to paint (maybe flowers?). Plenty of opportunity for customization on this project.

It amazes me how well the finials came out - they really look like they were turned on a lathe or carved with the rotary - but no - they are simply two halves glued together to form the full-round. Boy, do I love my CarveWright machines!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══