Thread: LE Badge and Patch help

1. Default LE Badge and Patch help

Hi everyone, I come hat in hand asking for some expertiseand help with two patterns I have been working on. I am new to the CarveWright and find it oneof the most frustrating and addicting things I have ever put time into. But I will get to the point. I am currently the Deputy Chief of the NewMexico Mounted Patrol. We are anon-funded New Mexico law enforcement agency, and we will be celebrating our 75thyear of serving the citizens of New Mexico. We do this as volunteers and paying for 100% of our equipment ourselves. I would like to show my appreciation to allthe Troopers in this organization by presenting them with a plaque celebratingour 75 years of service. I would like toinclude a carving of our badge and patch on the plaque, but I am having a hardtime getting the carvings to come out with the quality I want. I have tried to edit the patterns but I amstill having some trouble. I have attached them both Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NMMP New Trooper Badge.jpg   patch.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I do agree, addicting and frustrating !!!

Do you have a larger image of the Trooper logo?

Welcome to the forums (and the beast of a machine )

I did a quick adjustment to contrast and a bit of blur (to soften transitions between levels) to the Badge. I am sure there are folks that can do a much better job

I did it a depth of .25, height of 250 and bit optimization best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NMMP New Trooper Badge.png   Trooper1.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. Default

Thanks so much for taking time with this. No, I do not have a larger image of the symbol. I have tried contacting the company that makes our patches but not having much luck. I have been playing around with the depth with the thought that if it is not carved so deep it will have less chip out. I do not know if that is a correct mindset or not. I have been experimenting with carving on oak and some hard maple. I can get the oak at the dreaded Home Depot fairly easy and had some maple in my shop. I seem to have a lot of chip out with the oak. I am pretty new to all of this so still making plenty of mistakes and even using sleds and flipping the stock over using both sides have wasted some material. Guess it is all part of the learning process.