Thread: Challenge coin display box Plans

Default Challenge coin display box Plans

Enclosed are the plans for a challenge coin display box. Very simple and basic level project (no advanced joinery, butt joints galore). You will need a table saw (or straight cutting tool), drill, 1/4 drill bit, sand paper, tape. Materials will be lumber (two species look great), 1/4 in dowels, glue, poly (sealant). Dimensions are based on 3/4 lumber. Plans will have to be adjusted for different dimensioned wood. In the plans I change the height of the box (4 inches instead of 5) and where the dowels are located. Please let me know if there are any corrections that are needed.

MPC is in Designer 2.0 format (sorry).

Important: Please ensure and validate the tabs and cutting depth per path are set correctly.

Off topic: Is there an easy way to change a designer 2.xx mpc to designer 1.xx mpc?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Challenge coin display box plans.pdf   coin display box 2.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oscarl148

Thank you for sharing your project! As posted before, the wooden hinges fascinate me. I am not an expert, but I don't think you can go from 2.xx to 1.xx by any magic method.

It was more luck than skill but the hinge works great. It has really smooth action.

The instructions in the plans are pretty sparse for the hinge but I thought is was intuitive putting them together. Let me know how they work for you. I will be using them more in the future.

I am just now learning how to use Designer for this stuff. Kind of backwards but the stl importer has kept me busy.

I started building a pdf with instructions on how to build my hinge pattern and then I realized it would be 10 times faster to just recreate it. This was on page 8 of 9 of my instructions. So I went and finished it and then when back and downloaded and installed Designer 1.xx on my new computer and rebuilt the hinge design.

So here are the instructions plus the mpc with the hinge design in Designer 1.xx.

Regards,
    Oscar

I am not the sharped knife in the drawer but I can still cause blunt force trauma.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hinge construction directions.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the additional information. It will be a while before I get to this project as I want to use contrasting wood, perhaps walnut and maple.

I agree with you that I also think contrasting lumber makes the box pop. The prototype I made is constructed with walnut and maple. I used the walnut for the hinges. My brain has been all over the place on how to use the hinges. They are super easy to make and no time at all.