Thread: Bit Selection and Max Pass Depth Question

Default Bit Selection and Max Pass Depth Question

Looking for help on what is probably a very simple problem, but for some reason I just can't figure it out. This project is going to hold a near field charging base for my wife's new phone. It will be going into .75" oak.

As you can see, there are several carved regions where the charging puck and phone will sit. My concern is, that I can't find any way to set the max pass depth for them. Being that some of them are .6" deep, I don't want to risk damage to the bit or machine if it 'plunge routes' the area in one pass. So my questions are:

1. How can I set Max Pass Depth in a carved region?
    2. How can I assign the 1/8" cutting bit to that region instead of using the default 1/16" bullnose that will also carve the filigree patterns?

I tried just making the rectangle and circle regions without the carve region setting, but it is just outlining the rectangle and circle. So the only way I know of to get the empty space I need is to carve the region.

By the way, I am using Project Designer 1.187 and I recently updated my machine with the CarveTight spindle.

Thanks for any and all assistance.
    Dud
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by DudleyAz02 View Post

1. How can I set Max Pass Depth in a carved region?
    2. How can I assign the 1/8" cutting bit to that region instead of using the default 1/16" bullnose that will also carve the filigree patterns?

Dud
    You can not set a max pass for carve regions and swapping out the 1/8 bit for the 1/16 bit would affect the other carved areas. One option for you is to make a series of vector circles that would fill the area you want and then assign the 1/8 bit (or other larger straight bit) to clear out the area. Doing so would allow you to set a max pass.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thanks fwharris, great idea, I'll try that. It's a shame that you can't call out specific bits for different carved regions and patterns in the same design.
    Thanks for the info!
    Dud

On the 5/4 top on the Tr4easuer Chest project ( it the store) I have a pass one file to remove material so the pass 2 file can carve the detail only removing about 1/4" of material. This a 2 sided carve, so youhave to but the board thru a 2 sided carve trwice for pass 1 and again for pass 2.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com