Thread: Please Close Cover

Default Please Close Cover

Here's one that I cannot find the answer to in the forum or on the CW website. I was running the machine and the power went out, therefore the machine stopped. I turned the breaker on and the project went back to the main menu. When I try to reload the project I get the message "Please Close Cover" that will not go away.

Here is what I have tried:
    • I have turned the machine off to recycle.
    • wiggled wires - all in place and connected
    • checked the cover switches (they are not loose, each side clicks, pushed in the contacts by hand at the same time and individually)
    • reformatted the card
    • Sensor check says "Please Close Cover"
    • reformatted the card

If I open and close the door (or manually depress the the switches), every once in a while the bit will spin a couple of rotations.

This is an A machine with only about 25 hours of cutting time.

This might be related - When I started the carve I opened the door and the bit stopped turning but the head kept tracking so I closed the cover and it continued to carve so I let it do it's job. The power went out about 20 minutes later.

I need to have this project finished ASAP.
    What am I missing?
    HELP!!!

will send you a private message to call me and were you from
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Sounds like some funny thinks going on. I think the sensor check should say "open", not "Please Close Cover". The fact that the motor stopped and the head kept tracking implies that the left cover switch did not open. On the other hand, the close cover message implies that the left cover switch will not close.

I would first check that the left cover switch really is working. It may be fickle.

Close Cover; That was the biggest problem with my machines. Most of the time the switches would get loose. I rewired my machines and added a new switch. See images attached.

The only problem I had after that was when I replaced the board tracker; the 5 volt lead slipped around the mounting bracket and shorted and killed the 5 volts that controls the cover switch. That one was hard to find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BJs C omputre 12-15-15.jpg   CW Close Cover overhall Base.jpg   CW Cover Overhall - 1 .jpg   CW Cover Overhall - 3 .jpg  

CW Cover Overhall - 5 .jpg   CW Cover Overhall - 7 .jpg   CW Cover Overhall - 8 .jpg  
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Not to hijack this thread but I noticed in bjbethke's response that his photos indicates he hates Carvewright dust collecting in the machine even more than I do! That's a serious attempt to rid your machine of dust bunnies.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but I noticed in bjbethke's response that his photos indicates he hates Carvewright dust collecting in the machine even more than I do! That's a serious attempt to rid your machine of dust bunnies.

Brad
    Hi Brad, The carving motor fan puts out lots of air, about every 15 to 20 minutes when I check the carving; I pull the clear hose out of it's slot and blow out the dust that doesn't get sucked out. I don't need to open the Cover to do that.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

That's another good reason for me to consider taking my cover off. My only problem is the kids in the house. Without them getting curious and putting fingers where they shouldn't I would not have a problem with running without the cover. I always have safety glasses on and ear plugs in any way when I'm around it. I've got the kids to wear safety glasses for the most part but they don't seem very quick to understand the dangers around fast moving sharp things like I do. I'm afraid I'm going to have to either leave my cover on until I get a private shop of my own or take it off and put the whole machine in an enclosure with clear doors for access. I've been thinking about that anyway to cut down on dust and also to make it quieter.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bjbethke View Post
    Close Cover; That was the biggest problem with my machines. Most of the time the switches would get loose. I rewired my machines and added a new switch. See images attached.

The only problem I had after that was when I replaced the board tracker; the 5 volt lead slipped around the mounting bracket and shorted and killed the 5 volts that controls the cover switch. That one was hard to find.
    Wow that is like the Mad Max version of a carvewright machine!

You guys were right. I installed a new controller cut-off switch and it's running great. The factory is out of the switches so I bought one from another place (a lot cheaper too). Thanks for the advice and your time answering this thread.
    Carol