Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 New Carvings I've been working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Why would you want to paint them? I'd maybe use some colored stains or dyes at most so you can still see it was carved out of wood. I can see if you carved an inverted pattern and used it as a plaster mold, then you could make copies and would need to paint them to seal the plaster. To each his own, no two artists would create the same thing.

They remind me of the plaster works in the basilica I visited weekly growing up in Dyersville,Iowa.
    I must have been tired when I read one of the comments; I thought they were suggesting you paint them. I love the gold leaf accent work. Something you don't see much of these days. My grandfather was a sign painter and I used to watch him touch up statues from the town Basilica. He would air brush parts, hand brush paint parts and touch up the accents with gold leaf when I was a kid in the 60's. Sometimes he would refinish an antique picture frame or old clock with gold leaf for a local patron.

I too love the way you finished them with the subtle accents, old world style.

Brad

They are all gorgeous!! So, the other 75, will they be different or the same patterns? I'm still a newbie and struggling for days on one design, I can't imagine having to come up with 75 at this point!!

Quote Originally Posted by loretta_byerly View Post
    They are all gorgeous!! So, the other 75, will they be different or the same patterns? I'm still a newbie and struggling for days on one design, I can't imagine having to come up with 75 at this point!!
    They will all be different. I've got them almost ready to be put on the card and carved now I just have to wait for some more money to get more wood. I wont be doing very many in fir at least not at $18.00 a foot I have one big project to finish and after that I'll be free to carve what I want.

You did a beautiful job. The look wonderful!
    Heather

Thanks on the info on the finishing technique. I didn't pick up on the "3 down and 75 to go" , too busy looking at your beautiful work. Very ambitious project, but I am sure you enjoy it!

Wow! Would love to see more of them when you get them done

Thank you I appreciate the compliments. I'm trying to get as much carved while I can so hopefully at the next Christmas bazaar I can have some for sale.

Really nice! The gold leaf accents really make the carving pop...

Great work, I love the finish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12