Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 New Carvings I've been working on.

Default 3 New Carvings I've been working on.

Back up and carving. 3 down and about 75 to go. Trying to get enough to sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

wow that is nice were you find those pattern like it
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Just beautiful, kcc....very nice work!!
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

beautiful pieces but wonderful painting on them.

Why would you want to paint them? I'd maybe use some colored stains or dyes at most so you can still see it was carved out of wood. I can see if you carved an inverted pattern and used it as a plaster mold, then you could make copies and would need to paint them to seal the plaster. To each his own, no two artists would create the same thing.

They remind me of the plaster works in the basilica I visited weekly growing up in Dyersville,Iowa.

They all are masterpieces! I think the wood grain stands out nicely in all of them. What is the wood and finished used if you don't mind sharing. Very good choice in finish.

Very very nice.... Great work !!!!!
    Happy Carving

Robert D.
    rcdages

CarveWright START U Team Member.

The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut
    that held it's ground.

In Iconography the halos are always gold so I use gold leaf on them and the Icon of St. Sophia and her daughters I decided to paint the cornor pieces of the frame gold because I thought the accent was nice. Other wise they are all just stained.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Why would you want to paint them? I'd maybe use some colored stains or dyes at most so you can still see it was carved out of wood. I can see if you carved an inverted pattern and used it as a plaster mold, then you could make copies and would need to paint them to seal the plaster. To each his own, no two artists would create the same thing.

They remind me of the plaster works in the basilica I visited weekly growing up in Dyersville,Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by dbemus View Post
    They all are masterpieces! I think the wood grain stands out nicely in all of them. What is the wood and finished used if you don't mind sharing. Very good choice in finish.
    The Valaam Icon of the Theotokos which is the solid color one is carved out of Fir as well as the St. Sophia and her daughters the round one is out of pine. I have been experimenting with applying the first few lawyers of varnish by hand and rubbing it in and then I will coat it with a spray varnish. So far I am happy with the results. Its a little more time consuming but it comes out nice also I don't get as much dust in the final coat of varnish doing it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
    wow that is nice were you find those pattern like it
    I buy them from Russian companies. Also my oldest son and my youngest have gifted me some for Christmas I'm not sure where they got there's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast