Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30

Thread: modeling resolution

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    8,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Lets say I have a job size of 24x 24 I import a stl that is 20 x 20 are you saying that this would effect my carving if so Aspire has issues and so much for nesting stls.
    You won't notice much loss of resolution in that example (loss still occurs). But, let's say you put that same 20 x20 STL on an area 36 x 36. You will definitely be able to see the loss of quality. The bigger you go beyond the actual job size, the more resolution loss you will notice. Again, the PDF explains this very clearly and in detail. the video touches on it and shows an example in the presentation. The video is the "shorthand" version of the resolution vs job layout size. You'll get the complete explanation in the PDF. And, it's not a defect or "special" issue with Aspire...all the major pixel-based CAM software is the same. If you have a job with only vector cuts, resolution is not a concern in any case. It's only raster models, which as you may know, an STL model is instantly converted to a pixel-based model once imported into a pixel-based CAM software.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-15-2016 at 11:19 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!


    ═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

    Visit the CarveBuddy Website for Additional Exclusive Patterns and Resources

  2. #12

    Default

    If I set a job to 36x36 and i place three 10x10 stl space ships on the table to carve because i want to mill more than one at a time it will be wrong ? or course not your logic does not aply to the CW or Aspire in my humble opinion. I guess i ask Jim M.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-15-2016 at 08:42 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    8,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    If I set a job to 36x36 and i place three 10x10 stl space ships on the table to carve because i want to mill more than one at a time it will be wrong ? or course not your wrong.
    Quality loss still occurs, but there is no way around this. In your example, you may or may not be able to see the loss unless you compare it to another layout where the single model is placed upon a smaller layout that is just big enough to enclose the entire model. (TIP: Zoom in and take a look at the edges...the larger layout edges will be more pixelated than the single model on the smaller layout.)

    Most often, we just accept the loss and the job will come out just fine. In Aspire, if the quality loss is too noticeable for a larger layout, we do often boost the resolution to HIGH or even EXTREMELY HIGH or MAXIMUM to minimize the loss. In ArtCAM, you have the option to set the resolution manually by typing in the amount of pixels for the job. Aspire has five pre-set resolution settings to choose from..Standard, High, Very High and Extremely High, and MAXIMUM.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-15-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: the latest versions of Aspire have FIVE levels of resolution to choose from
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!


    ═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

    Visit the CarveBuddy Website for Additional Exclusive Patterns and Resources

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    8,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Please feel free to delete all my posts on this thread the intent was to tell people that I add the tail blocks in Designer. I exported violins all over the world now using the CW and my system why we are talking about Aspire is not the point. However if MT is right about Aspire you could not do nesting at all.
    Ditto. I should have kept my mouth shut on this. However, let me be clear...the resolution information I shared is 100% accurate. Nesting is fine of course, as long as you understand the resolution settings and job layout size rules to achieve the best results. Every CNC conference I attend (I've attended over 40 the past seven years) includes discussion and instruction on the issue and importance of resolution vs job layout size as it relates to pixel-based CAM software.

    TIP for CNC machines using separate control software: Another way to overcome resolution loss when machining multiples of the same model on a large sheet of material is to make the layout just barely big enough for the single model and output the toolpaths. Then, in your control software, you machine the model, then repeat the the same high-res model toolpath multiple times (with x and/or y offsets from each previously machined area). This "fools" the layout to think it is only machining a small area for each model (ie., the CNC machines the model that is packed with as many pixels as possible, but machines it several times over the full sheet). This is the way the pros do it in production environments when it is essential to keep the raster model resolution at the highest possible level. My ShopBot Controller can do this...not sure about Mach III, but I believe it has the same capability.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-15-2016 at 11:20 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!


    ═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

    Visit the CarveBuddy Website for Additional Exclusive Patterns and Resources

  5. #15

    Default

    MT I think you unfairly assumed a low resolution. however thanks for making me feel like family
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-15-2016 at 09:25 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    8,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    MT I think you unfairly assumed a low resolution. however thanks for making my feel like family

    Brandon,

    I sincerely apologize if I offended you in any way.

    My intention was and always is, to be sure information shared is spot-on accurate. I made no assumptions of low resolution. Resolution loss occurs in all cases in the examples presented, but whether it is noticeable or not can vary, depending upon the job layout size vs model area coverage within a given layout and several other factors.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-15-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!


    ═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

    Visit the CarveBuddy Website for Additional Exclusive Patterns and Resources

  7. #17

    Default

    I was thinking about moving the violin to Aspire for production however I would like to do nesting, it now sounds like a bad idea and i would loose a ton of resolution the work would be flawed and jaggy as you say. Thanks for the warning.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    8,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    I was thinking about moving the violin to Aspire for production however I would like to do nesting, it now sounds like a bad idea and i would loose a ton of resolution the work would be flawed and jaggy as you say. Thanks for the warning.
    Read the tip I posted in #14. You'll be fine.

    EDIT: Thinking about the violin design...there are no small details on that model and if you boost your resolution in your layout and place your models in an area just big enough to fit the models (and allow for your hold-down screws or clamps), you shouldn't experience any resolution issues to worry about. I think you probably sand the heck out of the violins after they come off the machine anyway and your vector cutout profiles around the outer perimeter are "pure"...there are no resolution concerns with vectors at all. If you want me to help you with this, please send me the model (or Aspire file with just one violin on a layout sized just big enough to fit) and I can lay it out in multiples on a larger sheet of material for a great result. It will be my pleasure to do this for you, if you want me too.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-15-2016 at 11:21 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!


    ═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

    Visit the CarveBuddy Website for Additional Exclusive Patterns and Resources

  9. #19

    Default

    Ok I looking at the video and the dude said if you are stretching the object 00:100 you loose resolution, I not stretching anything its 1:1. could be we should start a new thread on this flaw.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-15-2016 at 09:51 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Brunswick, GA
    Posts
    8,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Ok I looking at the video and the dude said if you are stretching the object 00:100 you loose resolution, I not stretching anything its 1:1. could be we should start a new thread on this flaw.
    Not a flaw. Did you read the PDF yet? Full details there. No stretching involved...specifically job layout size vs model size on the layout. I think the stretching example is an analogy to enlarging a bitmap which yields a pixelation. Not a perfect analogy, but was trying to present something lay people can relate to.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!


    ═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

    Visit the CarveBuddy Website for Additional Exclusive Patterns and Resources

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •