Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: modeling resolution

Default modeling resolution

Quote Originally Posted by liquidguitars View Post
    Side note: I always make designer layout to include the end blocks for my jigs and never as small as possible I just can not see any advantage making the design small. This is probably why I do not produce my guitars patterns as that seems to be to radical for users. This jig reflects longer is better not unlike my sleds I make. Nice work!
    Designing a layout larger (which includes the sled and/or tails for staying under the rollers) is fine. Some folks prefer to do that, and pretty much everyone using a sled SHOULD design the layout larger (i.e., sled jig size) so they can visually position their components within the carving area identical to the sled.

However, in other software like ArtCAM and Aspire, you do NOT want to design a layout in an area any larger than absolutely necessary to contain all the components. The reason is the way many CAM programs handle their resolution of 2.5D models in a layout. The pixel resolution is spread over the entire design surface - not just in a model component itself. A common mistake folks make when first starting out is to design their project layouts over a surface area equal to the entire cutting area of their machine. For example, let's say you have a machining area of 4' x 4', but your project is only 12" x 12". If the layout is put on a 4' x 4' area, the resolution of each model within that area is reduced far below what it was originally designed at. This is because the project is covering only 1/16" of the total area of the 4' x 4' layout.

I've seen folks design layouts with dimensions of a full 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and place a single (small) component/model in that area. Of course, they post on the appropriate forum asking why their carving came out all "icky and jaggy"! Reason - that small component doesn't have enough pixels to use in that huge area, so the model quality is greatly compromised (i.e., becomes very low-res).

Somehow, the CW Designer software doesn't seem to have the same effect when designing "larger". Perhaps it does and I haven't noticed, but since the tails are not adding much more to "take away" pixels anyway, maybe that's why we can get away with it. I don't know.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Wish he could but he is at a loss to figure what is going on on my end I sent him my
    MPC for a board and he said it worked fine for him. !!! On his machine I even redid my MPC thinking something was wrong with it I got it to.carve correctly once then it went back.to.carving to.deep it is very strange I am.going to.try by passing the jog part and see what happens tried everything else many thanks for your help.!!!

However, in other software like ArtCAM and Aspire, you do NOT want to design a layout in an area any larger than absolutely necessary to contain all the components.
    Sorry but this is not a law by any means and a little dated. the bigger the layout only affects index location and nothing more I would guess a bigger job size would allow you to store information not used in the compile and with respect not even related to my post about the CW.

Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-15-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Sorry but this is not a law by any means. the bigger the layout only affects index location and nothing more.

It is absolutely true! (Not what you said, but what I did.) In fact, Brian Moran (owner of Vectric and former Lead Programmer for ArtCAM) created a PDF File for download explaining this in detail I can email you a link if you wish. It is a very, very common issue for folks to design too large and reduce the quality of their projects before learning "the ropes" of pixel-based CAM software.

What the heck. I'll post a couple helpful links for you. First link is the PDF. Second link is a short video explaining resolution settings vs job size.

Link 1: http://support.vectric.com/images/FA...tructureV8.pdf

Link 2: http://www.vectric.org/video/aspire3...art_setup.html
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 01-15-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Sorry Michael your wrong my friend. there is nothing stopping one to setting the full with of the CNC table as job size.

design too large and reduce the quality of their projects before learning "the ropes" of pixel-based CAM software.
    Resolution has nothing to do with job size if your importing 1:1 stl's your logic is off.

resolution has nothing to do with job size if your importing 1:1 stl's
    Read and watch those links I posted for you. You will learn!

I'll post a couple helpful links for you. First link is the PDF. Second link is a short video explaining resolution settings vs job size.

Link 1: http://support.vectric.com/images/FA...tructureV8.pdf

Link 2: http://www.vectric.org/video/aspire3...art_setup.html
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

your kidding me right?

your kidding me right?
    Nope. You will be surprised (I guess!). Read and watch, please.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Lets say I have a job size of 24x 24 I import a stl that is 20 x 20 are you saying that this would effect my carving if so Aspire has issues and so much for nesting stls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast