Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darn drones

Default Darn drones

I been having a lot of fun making drones with Designer software Designer lets you quickly make thin shell body's then carve them! bigger ones export using Sculptor for larger machines. I only wish Designer had a wider job size to fit the big rigs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7823[1].jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	79578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkyMiteR004.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	79579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OctopowerR004.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	79580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calloutreg.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	311.6 KB 
ID:	79581
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-16-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Right now I am using maple and for the bigger ones I use 1" MDF. I hoping to do some Vacuum press soon.

Anything over 14" needs to be off center then saved to Lightwave or other 3D software to mirror. Here is what it looks like the job size is 15 wide. I think this could be a good class project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaDrone.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	79582

Cool! Is the 14" limit a Designer limit or just a Carvewright machine limit? I'd be very tested to draw that with the tools that came with the basic Designer. If you draw within the 14" limit, could you export as a STL file and import into an external program where it can be scaled to any size you like? FreeCad comes to mind as a cheap way to do it and if it starts getting too angular you can increase the triangulation.

I've been tempted to buy some cheaper fpv transmitters and flight controllers from Banggood.com and build something larger than the midgets I've been flying. With the free shipping it's hard to say no to the advertisements in my mail.

Looks great, but can the play music?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Nice work "LiquidDrones"....
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

So these are 2-sided carves? How thin is "thin"?
    Yes two sided around 1/8 thick once you make the top all is needed is to copy the top puff to the back side, invert the shape then using the cut tool you can check the thickness as a cross section.

The max you can set in y in the software is 15" however that will give you 14" to 16" propeller spacing if done like the pattern above... that's a large quad overall as normal props are around 8"

If you draw within the 14" limit, could you export as a STL file and import into an external program where it can be scaled to any size you like?
    yes the STL that Designers makes are fine scaling them up is not a big issue but i like to stay 1:1 if i can.

Bangood is fine I not had any issues ordering with them.

In a way finding all the parts is part of the fun. Overall the cost in not bad once you pay for the radio I running the spectrum.
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 01-16-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast