Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problems drawing connected arcs

Very interesting thread. We truly have some talented people on this site. I've played with early Ely Terry clocks. I've got two of his early designs in pieces now. It's a shame how little value they have considering their age and the hand work that went into them. My father was a watchmaker and one of the first clocks I ever tinkered with was his old wood gear clock my mother had hung in the living room for decoration.

Some of the wood gear clocks being made today are beautiful works of art! People often give Henry Ford credit as being the creator of the modern day assembly line. I think Eli Terry should get the credit for all the clocks he turned out decades before Henry's cars. They say they cost about a years wages back then and he would drop one off at a farm and let them test it out. When he went back to see if they wanted the clock very few were returned. It would have been as ground breaking as an Iphone was when it was introduced.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of creations develop from these gears.

Brad

This is a timely discussion for me. DickB posted a link to a wooden clock previously (http://www.scrollsawer.com/2015/10/0...-gadgets-2015/) and I couldn't resist building it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0967.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	510.9 KB 
ID:	79652
    Converted the patterns to DXF and used the Carvewright to cut them out. I had difficulty in understanding the mechanics behind the conversion from minutes to hours. The designer called it a "daisy". Makes a lot more sense now.
    Bob D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0968.JPG  

Nice job on that clock Bob. How did you convert the patterns to dxf? That daisy is similar to the wabble.

If the pattern is in pdf form you can convert it online for free here: http://www.pdftodxf.com/

Brad

Dick,
    There was no easy solution for me. I scanned the scrollsaw patterns from the magazine, loaded them into Turbocad, scaled, then either traced or re-drew the component. Saved as DXF and imported into Designer. Not a simple process but it worked.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BOB D View Post
    Dick,
    There was no easy solution for me. I scanned the scrollsaw patterns from the magazine, loaded them into Turbocad, scaled, then either traced or re-drew the component. Saved as DXF and imported into Designer. Not a simple process but it worked.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. Every once in a while I come across a scrollsaw project that I get interested in tring with the Carvewright, and I'm always looking for ways to make the conversion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123