Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What damage does removing memory card with power ON cause?

Default What damage does removing memory card with power ON cause?

I must have left my machine ON after last carve a few days ago but am not sure... I removed card to load project, then went back to machine to set up to run. I can't be sure (I cycled ON/OFF switch several times when I first noticed problem) but I think I left it ON because the switch position seemed odd to me when it registered in my brain. I normally shut the machine OFF and leave the card in either the machine or the programmer for protection between uses.I'm seeing dot-matrix blocks on the readout where I should be seeing the welcome message. Machine (CX) has been running beautifully til now. Any help/advice?
    Last edited by eastcutty; 01-07-2016 at 12:39 PM. Reason: additional info

Contrast knob??

contrast works fine, just lightens/darkens blocks

I did reformat card before uploading project, I usually do after erase for reload... I'll try it again maybe?
    Tried hitting ENTER, STOP, arrow keys, OPTIONS, etc..... no effect

That is how it behaves if there is no card. Have you reformated the card and reflashed the firmware?

Holy cow am I relieved!

I did all that already (read below) but it went wonky right at startup.
    Was just gonna do it AGAIN when I removed re-inserted card for the 8th-9th time... suddenly it seems fine!
    Project MENU shows project as loaded... looks good. WHEW

I had heard in the past that it's mucho no-no to remove card with power ON, or to turn ON w/o card in machine....
    For the record, CAN one do damage to the electronics if card is removed or absent under power?
    Or does the machine fail-safe to a 'blank' condition by default?
    I'm sure I'm not the only schlubb who's pulled this kinda boner move at least once LOL

I pull my card all the time with the machine on. I do not want to turn my machine off after it has measured my board carrier. I run back to the computer, tweak the project and then plug the card back in.

It is, however, strongly recommended by LHR that you do not pull out or plug in the card with the machine on.

I am sure it happens all the time to people by mistake. I do not remember, however, hearing of any cases where controller or card damage was attributed to pulling the card.

OK, good to know, thanks once again!
    BTW machine is running like a top right now, so all is well.

If your shop is cold, it might explain why your machine did not boot up.

Removing the card or inserting the card while on CAN fry your controller or memory card.

I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU DO THIS.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

10. Default

I know we are not supposed to but I have accidentally removed the card with power on many times over the last few years. I try not to, just to be safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast