Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: clean y rail

Any chance that you moved the Y/Z truck while cleaning? Is so the machine probably lost it's location.

The clean Y rails message is do to the machine seeing the Y not moving as expected. With Corian it is a harder material so more force is needed to carve. You might try tightening up the Y belt tension just a little bit.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Any chance that you moved the Y/Z truck while cleaning? Is so the machine probably lost it's location.

The clean Y rails message is do to the machine seeing the Y not moving as expected. With Corian it is a harder material so more force is needed to carve. You might try tightening up the Y belt tension just a little bit.
    Since the Carvewright is a servo motor style CNC machine with encoders providing feedback I doubt it lost location because of manually moving any of the axis. That's the nice thing about encoder systems. With the encoders being on the back of the motor it's not a true indicator of machine position but it's close enough. Stepper systems running without feed back encoders on the other hand can and do lose position when manually jarred or moved beyond any position not commanded by the software. While a chip could prevent an axis from moving to the position designated by the software; the encoder would notice this discrepancy and either adjust or abort machine movement with most modern day cnc systems.

I think a "clean Y rails" message is reported if the current being drawn by the y motor becomes relatively excessive. I agree, it is not a slip, but, an indication that it is having to work harder than it should to move.

That is why I was thinking that the litho material may have been clogging the bit. It could get pretty hard to push a clogged bit.

Hi
    This is Dian's other half, Butch. I was looking at the picture that shows the broken bit. By the look of the fresh cut edge to the right of the broken bit it looks like it was not cutting clean for a little while prior to the breakage. The way the plastic appears to be "smeared" along the edge before the break leads me to believe that the bit was over heating and starting to smear the plastic vice cutting. I would read the cause as the bit started to get hot and smear the plastic which plugged the flutes with plastic up to even with the cutting edge. This would cause it get hotter as a metal bit will do when it stops cutting.

My guess as one possible cause would be the long length of the edge it was cutting (as shown in the picture). My observation (based on watching Dian's work) is that most carving seems to be in short bursts that allow time for the bit to cool a little between cuts. A long cut in plastic does not allow the time for the bit to cool, which for wood ends up as burnt marks but in plastic would start to melt the media. I would recommend trying a carve on the highest resolution, optimal, as it would take smaller bites out of the plastic and should cause less heat in the bit/plastic. Sorry if I seem to ramble on.
    Butch

So yesterday I tried a small litho 4x4 taped the entire piece . Had no issues. Am wondering if the correct answer is bit getting hot and melting the piece instead of cutting it. I am going to try and slow it down, the cuts on the 8 x10's have been about 1 hour long on best so I will see if stopping the machine helps or optimal. Again thanks for all the help

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123