Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: clean y rail

What exactly is the material you are carving? Did the bits plug up?

Have you checked the spindle for play? Does the bit seem to be held firmly by the machine? Does the bit wobble at all?

Posting a picture of the litho might help us see what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by wpickrel View Post
    Here's a picture of now 3 broken bits. Only on lithos do I get the issues of clean y rails. No issues at all on wood projects. Have not changed the material supplier and its still the first pieces I have gotten. Getting expensive
    WAG.... Ask your supplier if the Acrylic is CAST OR EXTRUDED? Cast CAN be Engraved or Litho... Extruded can be harder and is not recommended to be carved or engraved as it will damage your equipment... ANY chance a BLOB of Acrylic MELTED on the Tip and FROZE to the SHEET, HENCE SNAPPING THE BIT.... Inquiring Minds want to know....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

So here is a picture of one of the lithos the bit broke on, I included a whole shot then one close up with the bit tip still in the material. As far as the answer to the questions. To the best of my knowledge everything is correct nothing loose no wobbles fits tight. Again no issues with wood projects, I have included a picture of the latest wood project done after the litho issue started. A gift to my brother who retired from the air force. Also ran off two wood clocks today with no issues. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken bit pic2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	79371 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	broken bit in litho pic1.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	324.3 KB 
ID:	79370Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood project.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	393.3 KB 
ID:	79372

It also looks like the path went askew?? I presume you have that in a sled. Is the fit tight? Looks like there was movement of either the sled or the corian itself.

Nice thought, didn't think about the sled, tight fit and taped but only on two sides not all four.

It looks to me like the bit was not cutting right just before it broke. Maybe plugged or somehow dulled. A mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    It looks to me like the bit was not cutting right just before it broke. Maybe plugged or somehow dulled. A mystery.
    Or melted... Is that the broken tip of the bit still inside the plastic?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

yes that's the tip of the 1/32 bit

Did any of these happen right after you stopped the carving to do some cleaning?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Yes the machine stopped and told me to clean the y rails, I cleaned them half hearted on the first one. after that I cleaned up the entire machine really good. On the 2nd one I cleaned as good as I could. All 3 breaks happened after the clean y rail came on. The breaks occurred within 10 seconds after I restarted the carves

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast