Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clean y rail

Default clean y rail

Need some help or suggestions, when carving lithophanes this weekend the machine stopped and a message to clean Y rails came up, I did, let the machine keep going and broke the tip of my first bit. Did a wood project no problem then attempted another litho different picture and the same message and same result broken bit number 2. I know not to bright! Different spots on the litho run 1st one about 1/4 of the way thru 2nd one about 3/4 thru. I am pretty sure its slight high spots on the litho boards but can't be positive. However I stopped the litho runs and ran two more wood projects no problem. I am using a sled that's .25 inch's deep to set my material in. This would be my 6 and 7 litho's using the sled no problems on the first ones. Any suggestions?

First thought on the clean Y rails would be a dull bit, corian chips in the y belt / y rails / y gears.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Are we talking 1/32" carving bits? Were you carving on optimal? What material are you carving? Do you have dust collection?

My guess would also be plastic chips sticking to the bottom y rails and rollers. It would explain the y message and could also make the y movement jerky explaining the broken bits.

Actually I was using a 1/32 on the first attempt and them a 1/16 bit on the second bit, was carving on best, I do have a dust collector. The y rails are extremely clean

You joined in August so my first question is how many cut hours? If near 250 then I would replace the two 685ZZ Bearings inside the Y Gear box.

Cut Motor brushes too every 250 cut hours....

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

It is not easy to break the 1/16" carving bit. Something is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wpickrel View Post
    The y rails are extremely clean
    I assume you took off the roller scrapers and checked the rollers also. Does the carriage feel right when you manually move it from side to side?

Maybe, as Al says, you need to look into the y motor. Check the gears, bearings, and encoder disk.

Can you post a picture of the carving that broke the bit?

Did you change the version of acrylic you are using now as the hardness can be very different.

Cast Acrylic Carves but Extruded Acrylic does not carve or rotary engrave. This is from the Engraver side of my business, lots posted on the engraving forums about engraving Acrylic.

Cast is more expensive than Extruded.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks for all the help on the post, Still not sure what has caused the issue. I have about 400 hours on the carvewright had some issues about 2 weeks ago with the y motor so I changed it solved the issue the cut motor brushes have been changed twice. Just recleaned the entire machine, checked all connections and double cleaned the y rails, inspected the belt can't find any issues calling Carvewright tech support tomorrow. The 1/32 bit was brand new as I suspected the bits were getting dull from the amount of extra sanding and detail issues on the wood projects

Can you post a picture of the actual carving that broke the bit?

Here's a picture of now 3 broken bits. Only on lithos do I get the issues of clean y rails. No issues at all on wood projects. Have not changed the material supplier and its still the first pieces I have gotten. Getting expensiveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	broken bits.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	320.3 KB 
ID:	79369

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast