Thread: Problem with a CW Pattern

1. Default Problem with a CW Pattern

I purchased pattern "Jesus Last Supper" AB-003. I carved it twice and both times when it got to 98% complete, my machine went haywire! It carved through the edge of the board and did not complete the carve, It gave me a message of "Y Axis stall." I don't understand why this would happen twice in the exact same place. Could there be a glitch in the pattern? Has anyone else had this problem? It's a beautiful pattern and would love to continue carving it, but I don't know what's the problem. Please help, someone!

I would think that it is not really the pattern. I would bet that the place where it does the Y slip is where the pattern goes deeper. There are many reasons for a Y slip. The simplest is just a dull bit. There can be problems with the Y rollers, the Y belt, or the Y motor gears.

Default "Y" stall problem

Kathy, Perry here, I too suspect a dull bit. I have had the same problem at the end of a litho where it started to go down deeper to finish
    up the feather. I was able to save the carving by hand clearing the feather myself.
    the second time, I walked in the shop and saw the error message "Y stall error". the bit had ran all the way to edge of the sled.
    As I moved the truck back and fourth I notice some missing teeth on the "Y" belt. I replaced the belt and with shadow region over the completed area I was able to save the project.
    Also with some Famo wood putty and creative sanding I was able to save the whole project.
    check out the attached pictures.
    Also give me a call and bring over the project and maybe we can save it too.
    I have an extra belt if you are in a bind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails y stall 5 (600 x 337).jpg   y stall 3 (600 x 337).jpg   y stall 2 (600 x 337).jpg   y stall 1 (600 x 337).jpg  

My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

4. Default

Perry, thanks for the response. I was able to salvage both projects, the first one with wood putty cause it cut through the side, and the second, just a little sanding corrected the problem cause I caught it just in time. Hope ya'll had a very Merry Christmas!