Thread: Rough sawn wood

Default Rough sawn wood

As picky as the CW machines can be with the material that goes through it, has anyone had success carving on rough sawn pine?

You can do it using a sled.

Best if it is done in a sled so that you have a good straight edge for the brass roller and side rails with a flat top for the compression rollers. You would also want the side rails just above (higher) than the rough board. When "finding surface" step is going on stop it and select "jog" and move the head over the board to find the surface..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott J. Zeiger View Post
    As picky as the CW machines can be with the material that goes through it, has anyone had success carving on rough sawn pine?
    It works great if it is rough sawn on a Band Saw Mill. You need a good edge on the tracking roller, you can do that with a hand healed sander.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Great advice guys, as usual. Thank you

I have carved cut slabs from a tree which is very rough sawn maple...use a sled
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_16951.jpg  
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

7. Default

This is a 4 foot piece of rough sawn pine, live edge. It was 4/4 I planed it down to get aprox 3/4 thick by 10 wide carvable area. Then jointed one edge just enough to give a good straight edge. You can't tell because the bark is still intact. No jig. The straight edge just rode on the squaring plate as any board would.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails upload1.jpg