Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating layers for segmented bowl pattern...again

Default Creating layers for segmented bowl pattern...again

I posted this file a while ago and got some great help to get me to a point. I am now trying to make the segments bigger and place multiple segments inside of other segments when I carve them. I am trying for a few things here:

1. reduce the amount of waste wood by carving one inside of another.
    2. be able to do this with version 1.187 with no addons, just the tools in 1.187.
    3. figure out how to repeat this if you need to carve a larger bowl.

The over all effect will be to stack the segments on top of each other in order to create a stair step outside and sand to create a smooth inside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-12-16 14_12_06-CarveWright - [bowls (1) 10.mpc].png 
Views:	72 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	79128

bowls (1) 10.mpc

Thanks,

Donnie
    CarveSpot - http://www.CarveSpot.com

I'm bumping this back to the top in case someone knows the answer but did not see this post.

I'm hoping that the end result will be a way for 1.187 folks to be able to create segmented bowls of different sizes that can be glued up.

By nesting the "rings" I'm trying to reduce the amount of waste.

Donnie

Is third party software allowed for this thought experiment?

My first thoughts of doing it without any add-ons is to use a picture. I think you can build a gradient tone cone picture that can be ported into designer to create the sides. Optimizing the ratios of the wall slope to overall bowl size will allow nesting the patterns. I'll try when I get home. I'm at work playing hookie for two seconds when I saw this.

I am at work as well. I did work on this before but lost interest when it seemed you could really only make cones with feather. Also, double sided would be required to do both inside and out.

When you have a chance, open the file I attached and look at how the nesting works on the ones to the right in the picture. I could not get the nesting to work when trying to nest 3 or more rings. That's where I'm hung up.

I was not trying to do double sided right now. The way the rings are sized the inside should match up to be smooth sloped but the outside would be stair stepped.

Donnie

Donnie,

Couple of (hopefully helpful) observations...

* Forgive me if you've already worked through this, but it seems like you're going to need at least two sets of rings to make a bowl... an "odd" and "even" set. One set of rings doesn't appear to do, because the top of the inner ring has to fit flush with the bottom of the next outer ring, and thus the inner ring has to partially overlap the outer ring. And since you're nesting rings, this can't be done. So you will need two sets of rings (at minimum), such that, say, the largest ring of set 2, will mate with the largest ring of set 1. Essentially and odd/even set, when stacking them together...

* When cutting the rings, they will have to be cut through to eventually mate to each other, but this poses a problem, as the inner rings will become loose once cut through. And this seems to apply whether you cut the insider first or the outside first. So, you almost have to carve the inside portion of the ring first, all the way through, then flip the project, cutting the outside of the ring *almost* all the way through, in order to have it held during the carve, and then finish with a cutpath to cut it out.

* Following the above technique for carving out a ring, you then might want to create your project with the two sets of nested rings, and then hide all but the innermost rings, cutting the innermost rings (one from each of the two sets) as one project. Then, hide everything but the next innermost rings, and cut those as a project, and so on...

R, Jon

My idea of using a gradient has already been thought of and documented back in 2008 by someone much smarter than me. This should be an exercise of math on getting the slope and angles to line up.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...highlight=bowl

You will need a graphics program that can paint gradients but this should allow you to control the angle of the slope for the bowl. This amount of math makes my head hurt. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Durtdawber View Post
    When you have a chance, open the file I attached and look at how the nesting works on the ones to the right in the picture. I could not get the nesting to work when trying to nest 3 or more rings. That's where I'm hung up.

I was not trying to do double sided right now. The way the rings are sized the inside should match up to be smooth sloped but the outside would be stair stepped.

Donnie
    Here are two different attempts.

One with two piece "washers" to make the zero height rings. I like these as it makes things simple.

The other with groups. Much more complicated with Clip Exclusive used inside the groups as well as on the groups.

(There is no thought here about tabs or how it would actually carve. Just an academic exercise!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nested Rings.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

someone much smarter than me.
    That was Ken I was thinking what a fantastic artist and craftsman he was...

I understand what Dan is doing with the half inch feather and it's as Dan said a simple solution, JLT brought up a good thing about even and odd using two different patterns so they wouldn't fall inside one another I am having a problem with the outside of the bowl... The first circle is 10" then a circle at 9" and .5 feather and so on, if I used two patterns even and odd circles what would be the first circle on the odd numbered pattern be and would I make a sweep or feather to the outside to make the contour on the the outside of the bowl so it's not at a 90 degrees edge on the outside. Dan you know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.. because I didn't understand when I asked a while ago having all these programs I would think you could make a simple bowl. Thank you..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast