Thread: Carving bit

Default Carving bit

Looking for help.
    Evening folks, in a bit of a time crunch here. I am making my brothers urn for Saturday, (ex military). I have all the patterns in place but when I go through the initial setup stages the last bit (obviously) is the carving bit. It just keeps going through the same step over and over. it will go through the first two bits fine but when it is time for the carving bit, it just keeps repeating itself. Not sure if this matters. I am using a plywood backing board and some masking tape to set this up. The two other bits went through fine.? Thank you for all your help and comments.

Watch and make sure the bit does touch the bit plate and make sure the head is clamped all the way down.

Try it again and make notes as to exactly what the machine does.

Usually this means that the bit missed the bit flag and the truck went down too far telling the machine that someone forgot to load a bit... At least that is what the machine is telling you... as in load bit..

What chuck are you using and any chance the bit is chucked up too short?

Do you have another carving bit to compare the length?

And like posted above watch the bit flag touches... it is very important....

Normally we see this in a 3 bit project where the first bit it asked for is the cutting bit for the path.... then it asks for the text bit, a V90 or V60. AND THIS is where the trouble really is... With a short V bit, the truck needs to go down into the lower roller rails that are often dirty... This causes a stall sometimes and gives you either a stall or load bit error.... Rarely do we see the Carving bit give us a "Load Bit"... but it is possible.... 1. too short a bit... or Likely 2. the bit missed the bit flag and the truck went lower than expected..

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck with your project and I am sorry for your loss.

AL
    Retired Navy Chief
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

OK, clamped down the head a bit more, changed carving bits (C/W) no change, lowered the bit just a hair, no change. It is touching the bit plate.
    Al and Bergerud thank you.

My experience is that if the difference between the bit plate height and the board surface is more than expected, one gets the bit loop. Is the bit plate bent up? Is the board touch point lower than normal?

Maybe you should try a single bit project. A simple carve region with the carving bit. We need more to go on.
    Last edited by bergerud; 12-15-2015 at 09:43 PM. Reason: sp

If the touch point is more than about a quarter of an inch lower than the max height of the board you will get stuck in this loop. I've only run into this problem when I used a sled which had sides taller than the work piece.

I like the ideas above...

The bit flag could be BENT DOWN slightly......

If not, I would break the project down into 3 projects with 1 bit per project leaving the board in the machine each time.

Do you have anything on the back of the board?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Update. I decided to hold off on that carve and move on to another carve on the urn. It was a three hour carve and all went well. So, I tried the first carve again after the C/W had a bit of *nap time* and it too went well. In hind site, the only thing that may have changed is being I may have put the sled in the other way, as it was a center carve. Have no clue but I will pay attention next time I do a carve with the sled. Just want to say thank you very much to all. What an amazing group of people on this forum!

Glad you got it to work and good luck with your project for your Brother.

AL