Thread: Machine fails all user tests

Default Machine fails all user tests

I have an A machine with 450hrs that has been idle and unplugged for a few weeks.
    I tried to run a project and got a z stall.
    went to user tests and ran them all.
    got z stall, x stall, y stall and cut motor test gave me z stall.

were is a good start point for diagnostics?
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Is there 24V? With the power on, do you feel the servo resistance when you manually move the carriage?

yes there is resistance
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Quote Originally Posted by blhutchens View Post
    yes there is resistance
    So, not the power supply. Does the z "twitch" before the stall. I would think that either the motor is not being turned on or the encoder data is not getting back to the controller.

yes it does. I will have to wait to explore as I have a lot going on. That was my first though .....clean z encoder, check connections, fcc......etc.....
    Brent

OS X Yosemite

Me too. Off to work. Sounds like the controller is not getting servo feedback.

Or since it is a "A" we must look at the 5 volt L2 coil being broken and momentarily opening causing the computer to crash resulting in a axis stall...

I would think "90%" chance this is a Power Supply Problem.... Do you have another machine?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

[QUOTE=Digitalwoodshop;254055]Or since it is a "A" we must look at the 5 volt L2 coil being broken and momentarily opening causing the computer to crash resulting in a axis stall...

I would think "90%" chance this is a Power Supply Problem.... Do you have another machine?

Yes I have another machine. I went and tried a project this morning and everything worked................
    I guess it will manifest again at an inconvenient time.

I will look at the power supply when I get a breather...........

Thanks
    Brent

OS X Yosemite

Here are my old pictures of the power supply L2 problem in the very early years.

When it went lights out, you could remove the muffler and lay it on it's back and the weight of L2 would push it back into the hole.

It's going to snap below the top surface of the circuit board where it is bent over on the bottom of the board making it hard to see.

Normally the LCD goes blank with the 5 volts going bad but the indications of a momentary outage is a stall.

Good Luck,

AL

GLAD you have a backup machine...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03700_WEB.jpg   DSC03707_WEB.jpg   DSC03713_WEB.jpg   DSC03710_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com