Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any Ideas would help

Default any Ideas would help

I was asked to do a carving of the Island of Maui for the front of a Tiki Bar , just looking for ideas to make it , he wants it 10"x23 L I was thinking of .75 but I also Have a piece of 1" cherry I'm wondering what I need to make it stand out height wise , I don't have 3d modeler but do have 3.0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1556.JPG  

Are you wanting to cut the islands free to glue as an onlay to the bar? ...or, are you wanting the islands to remain part of your board? You could place the island models (if you have actual relief models, that is) in a Carve Region so they will stand proud of the board surface. I wrote a Tips & Tricks covering that, if you don't know what I mean. (I can provide a link if you need it.)

Please share a few more details, so we understand exactly what you want the outcome to be.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    Are you wanting to cut the islands free to glue as an onlay to the bar? ...or, are you wanting the islands to remain part of your board? You could place the island models (if you have actual relief models, that is) in a Carve Region so they will stand proud of the board surface. I wrote a Tips & Tricks covering that, if you don't know what I mean. (I can provide a link if you need it.)

Please share a few more details, so we understand exactly what you want the outcome to be.
    I was thinking of making the islands to remain part of the board,

Do you mean like this?...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CW_Maui_screenshot.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

I can offer a couple of suggestions. I do this in reverse - I carve lake map bottoms. (Visit my web site for examples.)

1. Find a topographical map of Maui. (Here is one: http://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/op/gis/maps/elrange.jpg) Shade the layers in grey scale, black to white, lowest to highest. Here is a video on how I do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71eiUKv2k8w
    2. Search for GIS data. I found such data for Minnesota lakes on the Minnesota DNR web site. I import this data into a free tool MapWindowGIS. The tool allows creation of grey scale height maps, which can be imported to Designer to make a pattern. I've posted an example.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Sandy 2.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	79060

I whipped out the ptn in just a few minutes. I have no idea if it is "anatomically" correct. You can play with the ptn and/or the mpc I attached above. I made the layout board 1"-thick, the Carve Region .75" Deep and set the ptn to the same depth as the region (i.e., .75" Deep).
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

yes exactly ,Thanks Mtylerfl , I also want to thank Dick B for the insight ,

Our pleasure, I'm sure!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

what bit would you suggest for this carve on 1 inch cherry its about a 6 hr carve

Just the standard 1/16" tapered carving bit. Just curious why you ask. Do you own any other bits suitable for actual carving?
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast