Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caused this?

Default What caused this?

I'm doing a 6" x 70" carve and the first 60" turned out great. Then the carve error started and I stopped the project. I thought it was a dull bit as I'm carving in white oak and know that oak has a lot of silica in it. I salvaged what I could from the board, changed the bit to a brand new one, and started carving again. The second carve started wrong from the start. The pictures show what it is supposed to look like and what I'm getting now. Like I said, I thought I had a dull bit but I now know that wasn't the problem. Any ideas what may be going on?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1423.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	435.9 KB 
ID:	78828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1422.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	553.4 KB 
ID:	78829
    Tracy

World's largest supplier of custom carved firewood.

your bearing any bad one
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

My guess would be a loose encoder disc on the y motor. The slow drift in the y direction looks too continuous to be a slipping y belt. (I suppose it could also be a slipping gear in the y motor.)

Also, I assume you did not get any y slip error message.

No error messages at all. Machine just kept carving and drifting.

Will check the bearings tomorrow, but noticed the truck moved smoothly just before the carve.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Tracy

I agree with Dan on the Y encoder possibly bad. Also look at the Y gear on the bit plate end of the Y belt, I had one break and caused the Y tracking to get out of sink.

Side comment, are you using any end blocks to keep the carving under the roller? 7 inch rule!
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by tcough3475 View Post
    No error messages at all. Machine just kept carving and drifting.
    That means it did not know it was slipping. That eliminates things like dull bit or other types of drag.

I've had a few y belts lately that the teeth have worn down on causing a slip.
    Custom Stadium Coin Racks for displaying Military Challenge Coins, GeoCoins and the like- http://www.etsy.com/shop/stadiumdisplays
    OR http://shop.ebay.com/stadiumdisplays...&_trksid=p4340

Replace the two 685ZZ Y Bearings.... And look for a worn thin shaft...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00488_WEB.jpg   DSC07751_WEB.jpg   DSC09643_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Finally got some time to tear into this and here's what I found. Bergerud you hit the nail on the head in regards to the Y-encoder being the problem. It was rubbing on the sensor and wore away some of the encoder marks. Don't know how/why it did this, but here's a photo of the Y-encoder disk.

Al, I didn't tear apart the gear assembly, but there is some play in it. Not enough to slip from the Y-motor gear, but as I have this torn apart, I might as well replace them too.

Does anyone know if LHR sells just these parts or am I looking at purchasing a whole new Y-motor assembly? LHR is closed and the exploded parts diagram don't show them, only the assembly.

Bergerud and Al, you guys always seem to be able to identify these type of issues and I thank you both for your willingness to share.

BTW, this is a C model with only 287 hours on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Encoder.jpg  
    Tracy

What you could do is buy a board tracking sensor just for the encoder disk. (The encoders in the tracking sensors and all the servo motors are the same.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast