Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first litho help

Default first litho help

I have never tried a Lithophane however I would like to make the attached picture of my 9 year old handicapped daughter into lithophane for a Christmas present for the wife. Could you please make suggestion on the settings I will need to avoid the normal beginner mistakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Go to the Carvewright web page and under Support look for Tips and Tricks then look for Lithopane (Lithophane) Carving 101 – ISSUE 16 January 2009. It will give you all the settings you need.

You need/should to use 1/4" material so the first thing is to set your board thickness to 0.250", when the pop up window comes up select proceed. I am guessing you are using designer 3.xxxx, if so set the board texture/view to lithopane so you can view how it will look.

In your mpc you have the image inverted and it will carve as a negative image so remove the inverted setting. Set the depth to 0.180 and height to 400.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Thank You for you kind advice

I have done a few lithos and the first advice is, your picture is a little fuzzy you need a good quality picture, I like to use a 1/32 bit it brings out more detail... using a .25 thickness material for the lithopane .180 for depth and 450 for height. You will need a holder for your .25 lithopane that is .75 in thickness. when you start your project to carve use a board use a board .75 x 10" x 17" and set your lithopane in it and tape it down to the board. and as Floyde said invert your pattern
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marie 3.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Going to make ths attempt this weekend will post results if all goes well and thanks for the litho holer will save me some presious time

Well here's the very first lithophane, thanks for all the advice. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st litho pic1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	78879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st lithopic2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	78880

That came out great. Wonderful job.

That did turn out great... at what the material cost you do't want to make a mistake..

Default litho

This is my last litho that I did, white objects are hard to carve sometimes, so I took the picture inside to help calm it down, besides taking a picture of a lighted litho is difficult too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151121_212749.jpeg  
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast