Thread: Finish Coat over acrylic?

Default Finish Coat over acrylic?

About to do my first project that will include painting. Using bamboo that will include some centerline text and a couple of patterns that will be painted, the remaining parts of the project will be a natural finish.

Question: Would a spray of lacquer (to seal and aid in cleaning excess) prior to painting with Elmer's Acrylic Paint Markers and a couple of coats after be the correct thing to do?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040938.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	77496

As long as you seal prior to using markers you're good to go otherwise it will bleed. Never used lacquer for sealing before so maybe do a test first.

I would recommend using shellac for the sealing. Zinnser makes a clear shellac which won't add any color. I use it all the time along with acrylic. It also works well over the top of acrylic. If you put lacquer over the top of acrylic, the solvent will wrinkle up and ruin the acrylic.

Test to see if the lacquer dissolves the markers after they dry. If so, the finish coats of lacquer will ruin your marker work.

I agree with FWMiller. Use at least 2 light coats of WAX FREE shellac as a base.. Since you are using acrylic paint I would use a clear acrylic as a top coat. There are many on the market and I believe Michael Tyler uses them in some of his projects.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 08-13-2015 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Steve

Thanks everyone, off to the store(s) to get paint - don't care for the paint markers. First coat of clear shellac applied.