Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with calibrating

You should be able to just feel the tracking sensor assembly hitting the damper. It should feel stiff. What of the tracking marks on boards? Do yo get those?

Any chance of putting a strip of masking tape on the bottom of the board at the brass roller and see if that makes any difference?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Any chance of putting a strip of masking tape on the bottom of the board at the brass roller and see if that makes any difference?

AL
    The masking tape goes on ALL of my projects. Definitely a requirement with my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    You should be able to just feel the tracking sensor assembly hitting the damper. It should feel stiff. What of the tracking marks on boards? Do yo get those?

Well after tearing into the tracking senser I think you may have sent me in the correct direction bergerud, my damper was laying in the bottom of the machine. I have one of my projects running now (fingers crossed) have one more to do each being a 6 hour job. thanks all for the input.

I hope that was it. It could have fallen out as you took it apart.

It would, however, explain why boards were measured too short. The O ring, not being compressed to the brass, would make the circumference of the tracking roller effectively larger. It would not go around as many times and so report a shorter board length.

I hope that was it. It could have fallen out as you took it apart.

It would, however, explain why boards were measured too short. The O ring, not being compressed to the brass, would make the circumference of the tracking roller effectively larger. It would not go around as many times and so report a shorter board length.
    Before Itook it apart I tried to push the roller assy down and it didn't take much pressure so I am quite sure that it was out before I took it apart. I need to put this in my
    memory for future reference. Thanks again for the input ,it was a great help.

I calculate 890(1+(95.625-96)/96)=886.5.
    Dan, how did you arrive at this means of calculating the adjustment to the calibration. The manual (Rev 1.54, 01/07/13) states...

====================
    To find the magnitude of the change to the current value subtract the two numbers (Length difference - _________inches). Although not an exact correlation, you should change the current value setting by 1 unit for every 0.03” (or for every 1/32nd of an inch).

So now you have a direction (add or subtract) to change and a magnitude (number of units). As an example: say you have a board that measures exactly 36” long by your tape measure and the machine measures board at 35.875”, adjust the X axis cal number by -4. If the current value was set to 890.000, change it to 894.000. Or if the machine measures 36.125”, adjust the X axis cal number +4.
    ====================

...so I had arrived at the following means of adjusting the calibration...

[New_Cal] = [Cur_X_Cal] + 32 * ([Measured] - [Actual])

...but found that upon measuring the length afterwards a few times, and continuing to recalibrate, that I was bouncing back and forth between too short and too long.

But your method was spot on (thanks!), and implies that the calibration is a ratio associated with the value of 890, and not an adjustment to the current calibration by 1 unit for every 1/32" the measurement is off.

Tx, Jon

I do not know why the manual does not just give a formula instead of their "rule of thumb". (Which, if I recall, only apples to a 36" board.)

The approximate number of X encoder pulses per inch is 890. (1296 encoder pulses per rev/brass roller circumference ~ 890) The default X calibration number on the machine is this number "fine tuned".

You are right, it is just a ratio. Suppose the controller gets N pulses from measuring a board. The machine will report the length to be ML = N/(current X cal number). What you need is a new X cal number so that the real length RL = N/(new X cal) . Eliminating N from these two equations gives (new X cal) = (old X cal)*(ML/RL). This is the same as the formula I used except I took 890 as the old X cal and had the formula in the form of an added correction instead of a ratio. So, for future reference:

New X Cal = (Old X Cal)*(Machine Length)/(Real Length)

For example, if your X cal number is 892.5 and the machine measures a board to be 24.85" whereas the board is really 25", you would calculate a new X cal number of (892.5)*(24.85)/(25) = 887.15

EDIT: The "rule of thumb" calculations in the manual seem to actually be wrong. This explains why the the numbers jump back and forth. According to my calculations: (890)*(36.125)/(36) = 893 not 894.
    Last edited by bergerud; 02-21-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12