Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carve Letter on bottom of a square

I'm not trying to compete and see if I can get the best answer the fastest with every single post. Just trying to help this guy out.
    Steve

Sorry, I just thought this was a simple method to have the inside of a hole outlined. It does not require making patterns or deleting areas in the PE as I have done and posted before.

Sorry it has been so long since I responded but I have been out of town and then had to catch up on carving. All your solutions are shown on larger pieces of wood but my project is on a 4 X 6 or 5 X 7 picture frame, will they work on a small piece of wood and which bit would I use?

Quote Originally Posted by mwunderlin View Post
    Sorry it has been so long since I responded but I have been out of town and then had to catch up on carving. All your solutions are shown on larger pieces of wood but my project is on a 4 X 6 or 5 X 7 picture frame, will they work on a small piece of wood and which bit would I use?
    The 2 examples I did will accept a 4" by 6" picture (look at the back). To carve them you will only need the 1/16" carving bit. As for the actual board size, use the same rules as normal: Add 7 " to the length of your project and at least 1 " to the width.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-22-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    Steve

I made some similar recently; the part with the sweep etc. is actually a separate store-bought (in my customer's case) or a separately made frame. The 1/8" thick wood with the name cutout is actually little more than a matte, like the cardboard mattes you see in professional framing. The original picture above is exactly that - done on a laser cutter (as my customer's previous ones had been)... but we can certainly do it on our carvewright! I'm attaching pictures of the carved (but not finished - she wanted it nude so she could paint it) piece, as well as a designer preview.

The way I had to do it was pretty much exactly as bergerud did it, though I think he has refined it since we were discussing it last a few weeks ago - I had to make a pattern and edit it in the pattern editor. Once I had the outline to cut, I then re-placed the text on the board and puffed it a bit.

The ones I made were 1/8" thick, 5"x7" outside, and made to frame a 4"x6" picture. And it looks quite a bit like what mwunderlin posted, when put into a 5"x7" frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ava-frame.png   ava.PNG  
    - Ken
    Later model "B" Machine with CarveTight and Rubber belt upgrades
    RNB Model "A" Dust Collection, Scanning Probe, Rotary Jig
    Designer 3, Conforming Vectors, STL Importer, DXF Importer, Rotary, Basic, Pattern Editor (Probe), Advanced 3D, Centerline

Steve, my bad I did not check the board size before I posted, thank you for your help on this.

How do I change the name and just so I can learn, what was the process you went through to create this design?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12