Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Close Cover notification (not the usual reason)

1. Cool Please Close Cover notification (not the usual reason)

Hello,
    It all started with the Y-Axis Stall error. With inspection I found I needed a new bearing. To make things easier in order to "drill out" the locked in screws, I removed the entire Y assembly from the machine, big mistake. All connectors on the Head Termination Electronics Board Assembly(HTEBA) were factory glued, male to female in such a way as to reveal naked pins on the HTEBA as each connection was force ably pulled out. OK, I replaced the bearings and properly assembled the unit. Regarding the connections to HTEBA, I was somewhat careless and mis-pinned the close cover/probe connector to the naked pins on the HTEBA, not knowing this, I fired up the machine and got the "please close cover" readout. Checking things out, I found my incorrect connection and fixed it, checked it and got the same error reading. Ordered a new HTEBA card, new wire assembly for cover switch/probe. Same problem. OK, so now I removed the cover and shorted out the motor cut off connection and the close cover pins on the HTEBA. Same problem...... "please close cover" The only thing I can think of is I may have trashed a logic circuit when I mis pinned the cover switch/probe connector to the HTEBA. Any ideas? Please note that I have absolutely eliminated the possibility of the HTEBA receiving a signal that the cover is open (shorted the correct (far left) pins) and additionally shorted the motor bullet connectors.

If it is the system controller assembly, is their a fix other than $300+ replacement. Note that prior to getting the close cover notification, the machine readout panel performs correctly and accepts my input. For testing purpose I've asked to measure a board, after which I get the close cover reading.

Thanks in advance for your help

Neil

Al has reported that plugging in the cover connector upside down gives the close cover message. The white wire should be towards the cut motor.

There are other reasons for the message. Grounding of the board sensor wire in the y truck for example.

3. Default

Thanks for responding. The far left pins on the top horizontal connector on the HTEBA are for the cover switch. The other pins are for the probe functions. I've tried two different switch cable assemblies as well as directly shorting the two far left pins, same result. Checking out the schematic, it appears that the HTEBA board feeds the controller assembly (brains). If I had previously mis pinned on my earlier attempts, I may have caused damage to the assembly. What is confusing is the fact that input and output on the display function works up to the point of execution (measure board) prior to the message of close cover. This tells me that the assembly (brains) has not been damaged. Cables to and from the assembly are good.

The problem may be elsewhere. Check the FFC ribbon condition and its connections.

And just to say it a second time to be sure, "The white wire is on the cut motor side of the connector?" You were not clear you understood this. Wonder if you have a old 18 pin system?

And it is possible you have the circuit board guide, that little plastic guide stuck on the end of the cable from the cover switch and you are stacking the covers on when pushing the plug on with no electrical connection? Another words... Is the plug clean of the old guide cover?

Still have a problem... Power off then UN PLUG the board sensor on TOP then try the machine again. If it fixes then you have a shorted wire in the board sensor cable.

And since you joined in 2008 and have all the serious glue problems years later... It makes me wonder if you have a old 18 pin system... And changing the one board makes things worst.... If you mix the boards and FFC Cables you can have serious problems....

Look at the pictures and decide if you have the old 18 pin boards or the new 14 pin boards, the A907 kit... Look at the board you replaced and the one you removed if they are different... UN PLUG the machine before you damage more of the machine.... The A907 kit includes the two 14 pin boards and a 14 pin FFC Cable. Plug a Wide Pin FFC Cable in a old 18 pin jack and you can short out the $300.00 computer....

I call the 18 pin a 16 pin in some of the pictures, it's 18.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08492_WEB.jpg   DSC06680a_WEB.jpg   DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06659a_WEB.jpg  

DSC06653_WEB.jpg   DSC06659_WEB.jpg   DSC06656_WEB.jpg   DSC06655_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 11-14-2015 at 11:53 AM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I believe there is 24V across two of these pins for the probe. It is conceivable that some damage could result from having the plug shifted on the pins.

were the plug in pin are check very closely if there not a bent pin
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

What you could do is, while looking at the cover sensor data, wiggle wires and plugs around.

9. Default

Thanks for responding.
    Attached, you'll see the boards, they are of the new variety. Note the one with bare pins due to the male connection plastic enclosure coming up with the female plug. On the "glue" picture, notice the yellow stuff holding the parts together which caused the pins to become bare. For future reference, the glue comes off completely by using "goof off". After this operation and with the new board I could make a complete and correct connection. All is well.....except, I still get the close cover notification. As per my original post, after trying two sets of controller cut off switch and cable assemblies without positive result, I resorted to shorting the close cover pins on the board(far left pins on top horizontal male connector, the pins away from the display and close to the motor) I still get the close cover argument. I had previously mis connected the female close cover/probe connector to the bare pins on the male portion. This I was able to do because the plastic guide cover on the male portion was missing and the connection was off by an entire row. In any case unexpected signals were sent to the controller and may have fried some logic.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for your kind and quick response. If all else fails, I will send the controller assembly back for rehab.

NeilClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0179 [134769].JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	970.1 KB 
ID:	78733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boards.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	78735
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0186 [134774].JPG  

10. Default

This is probably exactly what happened as I did make a connection and was off by an entire row. Perhaps fried a portion of the controller. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast