Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Unique clock

Quote Originally Posted by normrichards View Post
    So I do not understand why anyone would want a clock like this? Who wants to learn a whole new way of keeping time? I can see a 24 hour clock but this?
    I don't entirely understand either, except for the novelty, but that doesn't stop me from taking on the commission!

OK, if the motor question is too hard, try this next one. These wings are part of another unique clock that I am building for a customer. To what object do they belong? Hint: I was able to find a free 3D model online, so it is a popular object. I imported the .stl via Pattern Sculptor, which is my new favorite software program. I was very pleased with the alignment on this double-sided carve.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151102_154458.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	78534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151102_154503.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	78535

First glance looked like piano keys, but wrong pattern. Kinda looks like turbine vanes

3. Default

I am thinking its a time flies clock?

I got a kick from this. I guess there are more than one metric crazy out there. This person designed a digital version but it does show there is hardware out there to make a metric clock possible. Maybe the adruino computer to control an electromagnet to keep the time.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Metric-Clock-Take-2/

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    Maybe the adruino computer to control an electromagnet to keep the time.
    Close. I'm using a 28BYJ-48 stepper motor and driver that was built for Arduino and similar platforms. These motors and drivers are widely available and inexpensive at less than $3. I use a TI MSP 430 Launchpad, not Arduino, which I have used for other projects. For those not familiar with stepper motors, this particular one is a unipolar motor with four coils. Energizing the coils in the correct sequence causes the motor to rotate either clockwise or counterclockwise in precise increments or steps. By timing the pulses correctly, the motor can be made to rotate a second hand at exactly the correct speed for a metric clock. (The math and algorithm is somewhat interesting.)

Name:	stepper.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	78543

Many CNC machines use stepper motors. Ours does not - ours uses servo motors.

Here are a couple of hints on the wings. Mine are larger than the original object. And the object is from a popular children's book.

No one playing? I guess another hint is needed.

Name:	20151103_170659[1].jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	78561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151103_154811[1].jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	78562

This was my first time using the 1/16" long bit carving 1.5" of MDF.

We do not know anything about Harry Potter stuff!

It's the golden Snitch!

Yes. The customer gave a very good description and drawings of what was wanted. The body is basically sliced in half, and the clock's face put on it.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast