Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unique clock

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Since a 12 hour clock is based on a 360 degree divided by 12.... If you used the very same clock works, 360 degrees is divided up into 10.... Just Interpolated different...

Is that correct? Or am I off in left field...?

My background in electronics began in 1977 with my first analog gun fire control computer with lots of dials and hand cranks... Used to aim the 5 inch gun in it's 12 mile range.

AL
    But regular clockworks divide seconds by 60, minutes by 60, and hours by 12. We need to divide by 100, 100, and 10. Regular clockworks can't be used. Also, a metric second is shorter than a second, so we need a different timebase.

I'm not real sure what you mean is there a way to take what you did and make it a PTN then all I would have to do is make the circle with the lines the size I want on the board then add the numbers 1- 12 and then delete the PTN and all that would be left is the numbers in the right placement.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    But regular clockworks divide seconds by 60, minutes by 60, and hours by 12. We need to divide by 100, 100, and 10. Regular clockworks can't be used. Also, a metric second is shorter than a second, so we need a different timebase.
    Yes, my thinking was flawed.... The more I think about it... Interesting clock.... I wonder if klockit.com offers the works? I have some 24 hour clock works.

klockit@klockit.com

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by xchief807 View Post
    I'm not real sure what you mean is there a way to take what you did and make it a PTN then all I would have to do is make the circle with the lines the size I want on the board then add the numbers 1- 12 and then delete the PTN and all that would be left is the numbers in the right placement.
    Lots of ways to do this. Here is mine. Open the attached mpc. Click on the group "clock layout". Grab a yellow corner and drag to your desired size. Enter numbers one at a time, and place them on the intersection of the guidelines as I did with the numeral 1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock example.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	78498
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Yes, my thinking was flawed.... The more I think about it... Interesting clock.... I wonder if klockit.com offers the works? I have some 24 hour clock works.

klockit@klockit.com

AL
    If you find one, let me know!

BTW my customer has warned me that there are many so-called "metric" clocks for sale, like this one http://www.amazon.com/METRIC-metric-.../dp/B00821OC3K
    but all they have done is put a metric face on a standard clock mechanism, which is not correct at all. (Read the review.) I have not been able to find a true metric clock or mechanism, nor has my customer, which is which I was approached. I have a solution, but if there is a clock or meck available, I'm all ears.

Is this one a fake metric clock as well? (I was also sucked in by the amazon clock. Had to delete my post!))

http://www.cafepress.ca/+metric_cloc...ashes,30924592

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Is this one a fake metric clock as well? (I was also sucked in by the amazon clock. Had to delete my post!))

http://www.cafepress.ca/+metric_cloc...ashes,30924592
    I believe it is a fake; if not my customer would buy one (for less money than I am charging!).

DocWheeler, let's do the math. A standard clock has 60*60*24 seconds in a day, or 86,400 seconds per day. A metric clock has 100*100*10 seconds in a day, or 100,000 seconds per day. So a metric second is 86,400/100,000, or .864 standard seconds. The first problem is to get a clock to "tick" at .864 seconds rather than one second (that is not 50/60, or .8333). Second, the minute hand on a standard clock moves 1/60th of a rotation for every 1 rotation of the second hand. The minute hand of a metric clock moves only 1/100th of a rotation for 1 rotation of the second hand. They are completely different animals.

So, it isn't a standard clock motor. Isn't this just a gearing problem? Determine the motor RPM and calculate the gearing for the 3 functions? May have to make the clock larger to fit all the gears in. I'm going to bed now! Will think on it in the AM.
    Jerry
    Having fun with my CW now!
    C Machine spring of 2013, CarveTight, Rotary, designer 3.102, probe/PE,
    vector 2d, 3d advanced, conforming vectors, STL. Photo Explosion 4.
    HF 2hp dust collector. Headquartered in West-Central IL.

This is great just like the other one but I can't place this on my board and use it as a guide. If my board size changes then it screws it all up. If it was a PTN then I could set it place the numbers and then delete just the PTN and be left with the numbers in the right position.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast