Thread: Need 2 cut motors asap

Default Need 2 cut motors asap

Hi im in desperate need of two cut motors i dont care new or used just need them to work and be reliable. I had 2 cut motors burn up on me last week and they need to be replaced asap. The one motor ive been waiting for that to go it has over 2000 hours on it but the other has around 600 hours on it so that was a surprise lol. carvewright dosent have anything in stock and cant get mine rebuilt and sent back in time as ive got a craft show tomorrow Oct. 24th and the 7th, 14th, and 21-22 of November. ive got enough stock for tomorrow but not near enough for the rest so if anybody has an extra one or two and is willing to sell them ill be checking this post off and on all night. tomorrow you can email me at keithswoodworks@gmail.com and ill get back to you as soon as i can thanks.

PM'ed you.

Could you give some details on how/why they burned up, or at least a best guess.? It sounds like you are doing a lot of production carving for several craft shows. Would this be a factor, i.e. need for cool-down time? How about dust control, or type of wood, or maybe just a flukey bad motor? Having two machines go out in near succession worries me that there is something I need to watch out for.

I can honestly say i have no idea why they burned up i haven't been doing anything different its the same routine day in day out wake up give the machines a quick wipe down load my boards start my dust collector go to work been doing that routine on one of my machines almost daily for two years and i bought new one this spring which ive had nothing but problems with since i bought it but ive made due with it anyway once i got most of the kinks out of thee new machine it joined the morning routine as well. i carve pine thats about all i can get around here at a decent price. the only thing that im having a hard time with is the new brushes ive been putting in have a different sized brass head on them compared to the older ones i was using earlier this year. i did try to put in an older set after the new brushes went bad in 5 hours or so and the old brushes worked for quiet some time i think i got 12 hours out of them before they crapped the bed but they were almost done for anyway. I emailed carvewright and they said that it cant be the brushes its the motors. i really dont care whos right about the brushes i just need to get carving lol and connie at carvewright was nice enough too get me one it wont be till Thurs. or Fri. but thats better than nothing. still on the search for one more.

Maybe you can make one good motor out of the two. If they have different problems, maybe you could swap some parts around.

When you replaced the brushes did you buff the copper armature contacts? It requires disassembling the motor to get at them, but the new brushes seat much more smoothly and there is less arcing between the brushes and commutators. I know most people don't do this - they just replace the brushes and most the time they will seat fine with some use, but if the previous brushes didn't wear evenly, i.e. grooves and ridges, the arcing off new brushes can create enough heat to destroy the contacts. I'm just thinkin'

BTW, if you do clean/buff the armature contacts, use very fine sandpaper/Emory paper or Scotchbrite. DON'T use steel wool. You may think you can blow out all the shards, but you probably won't and that WILL fry the motor. I learned this on an old hand drill forty years ago. I'm glad I was able to drop it before it caught fire. To quote the Frankenstein monster, "Fire Bad!"

Question about your brushes? Are they from LHR or a after market brush?
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

bergerud i tried making one motor out of the two but the same thing happened just gonna send them all in this winter and have them rebuilt but thanks for the sugestion.

200k. ive never thought of doing that im gonna have to start doing it thanks for the suggestion a little extra maintenance goes a long way with these machines. lol fire bad.

Digitalwoodshop they were from LHR im not sure were to get aftermarket brushes and i wouldent know where to start looking as far as getting the right size carbon and the copper wire just the right length just easier to get them from LHR.

I am wondering if your power source could have something to do with your issue. Amp drop can affect motors.
    Running equipment on too long of an extension cord or too small wire size for the distance........SMOKE and Fire BAD!!!!!!!
    I have seen many skill saws burnt up from running 200ft on 14 gauge wire on the same 15amp circuit as a small compressor.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

blhutchens my machines are each plugged into there own dedicated outlet on there own dedicated breakers. no extension cords but i was kind of wondering the same thing the other day if it was a power problem i guess we will find out this week we got a cut motor from carvewright be here sometime this week and 200k offered me a used one with under 200 hours on it. i guess if it happens again ill swap out a power supply see if that isn't screwing things up

Glad you got your brushes from LHR as you know they are correct... After market brushes from places like ACE Hardware are a gamble in the hardness of the carbon, length of the wire tether and spring strength.

Remember that the cut motor has a 2 sided cooling FAN and one side sucks air through the slit fins, past the brushes the through the Stator and Armature....

Dust sucked into the slits can get caught between the brushes and spinning commutator and contribute to faster wear.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06240.JPG   DSC01467_WEB.jpg   DSC01462_WEB.jpg   DSC01465_WEB.jpg  

DSC01461_WEB.jpg   DSC06258_WEB.jpg   DSC06256_WEB.jpg   DSC06209_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com