Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood for outdoor signs?

Default Wood for outdoor signs?

My lumber yard no longer stocks iroko but it is expensive anyway and teak will tare up my bits. What kind of wood to you recommend for signs in the weather? And do painted signs hold up better than spar varnish signs?
    Thanks for the help.
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com

I use quarter saw red wood . Lasts for years. spar varnish will peel .

red wood , cypress and some of the deck boards work well.

Gary
    OLD SALT

Member CarveWright Start U team

OK redwood. But I should paint it and not a wood grain finish? Someone is asking about a 2' x2' sign for their farm. Thanks.
    Clint

Ipe (pronounced EE-pay) is a dark tropical hardwood that is used for high end decks. You can get it in 5/4 x 6 decking planks and probably in other dimensional sizes. It is impervious to weather and doesn't even change color near as much as teak, cypress, or even redwood. The downside is that is wickedly expensive. It's also used as regular inside flooring in some areas so you may be able to find 3/4 x 2 or 3 at a flooring distributor. It's a pretty dark reddish brown - almost dark mahogany color with a very closed grain.

Quote Originally Posted by 200k View Post
    Ipe (pronounced EE-pay) is a dark tropical hardwood that is used for high end decks. You can get it in 5/4 x 6 decking planks and probably in other dimensional sizes. It is impervious to weather and doesn't even change color near as much as teak, cypress, or even redwood. The downside is that is wickedly expensive. It's also used as regular inside flooring in some areas so you may be able to find 3/4 x 2 or 3 at a flooring distributor. It's a pretty dark reddish brown - almost dark mahogany color with a very closed grain.

this stuff is hard....it has same fire rating as concrete. It does not float.
    the last time I bought any it compared in price to redwood or mahogany.
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

I've never had a problem with oil finished wood of almost any type outdoors in Florida weather (8 months of the year we get rain right around 2-3pm til at least 5 or 6pm EVERY DAY). I use a custom blend of tung oil and varnish.

I think I will go with redwood. If she wants to pay for the 2' x 2' sign, I plan to glue up 2x6s. The tung oil and varnish sounds interesting. Is the formula you use proprietary of can you share it?
    Thanks for the help. I am attaching a 1ft sq version of the sign.
    Clint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galllo Ranch 1.jpg  

White oak is a good an accessible option ... It holds up very well in the weather .. I would not use a varnish as it will peel in short order .. I have soaked wood in oil to insure full saturation and I have primed and painted with 1Shot paints ... Both yield good results, but the 1Shot paints would be my preference ...
    Mans Quest for knowledge,,, means he'll always find a way !!

I like 5/4 cedar decking. I glue up panels from the 6 inch strips and take them to a cabinet shop for surface sanding. I think the thicker wood looks better then 3/4 stock
    I have also used PVC trim board but they are not cheap. You can glue up using MEK or other solvents. There are no voids. it will never rot and it takes acrylic paints really well.
    I love the finish I get when carving. 1x12 wont warp and makes great house or cabin signs. Also good for gold courses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast