Thread: Bit depth not same.

Default Bit depth not same.

Can anyone shed some light on what causes this error?

In a multi bit project, the machine measures the length of each bit before the project starts. The last bit measured is the first bit used and so, only gets measured once. The rest of the bits get measured again before they are actually used. If the measurement a bit the second time differs just a little from the first measurement, you get the bit depth not the same message. For some reason, your machine is detecting a difference. Maybe the bit is in a split collet and slipped a little??

The machine will, however, use the last measurement as correct as it carves the project. One has to simply choose to continue.

(Many of us just use the one first bit to go through all the initial bit measurements and then put up with the messages later when we put in the right bits.)

Thanks for the info. This is just using one bit but it allowed me to ignore it and it cut just fine. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't ignoring something that needs attention.

If you were using a single bit and did not remove it from the chuck between bit plate touches, I would wonder why you get the depth message.

I wonder if the board is not perfectly flat across the y, if that could cause it to throw this error?

I would check the Z Rails for sawdust stuck to the rails. During bit checks the computer is monitoring the Z Motor current looking for a increase as it bumps into the bit plate. As soon as it feels the bump the Z reverses.

So with that knowledge look at the bit check and the touch and watch for the touch. IF something like dirty rails acting like a speed bump causes the bit to STOP BEFORE touching the bit plate before the touch then that is the recorded value. The Bit touch should do it TWICE. It looks for a match of the data. IF you see THREE Bit Checks then you have a problem....

Another thing that will cause this is the FLEX SHAFT hitting the black cover. A Worn Cable can cause this that can be fixed by rotating the TOP HAT 180 degrees.

Another thing that can cause the problem is a DIRTY Z Encoder or a Loose DISK on the encoder.

Another thing that can cause this is a BAD FFC Cable. A Broken Wire intermittently touching. DO you have the newer 14 pin Cable or the older 18 pin version... The older 18 pin had thinner wires and failed quicker.

AL

EDIT: Just looked at your 10 posts as you joined in August... You are using a QC... That can be THE Problem TOO as grab the bit tip and pull gently in 4 directions... WHEN the QC is worn out the bit FLOPS AROUND....

And the Z Motor can become LOOSE.... Check the Screws... Since this is a "A" Machine with a QC it brings back memories of the high speed vibration loosing up many screws.

Also snapping your L2 on the Power Supply, and Snapping the C1 on the X Termination board... Buying a CarveTite will really save you money in the long run....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC08185b_WEB.jpg   DSC03360_WEB.jpg   DSC03357.JPG  

DSC08069_WEB.jpg   DSC07811_WEB.jpg   DSC03710_WEB.jpg  
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-29-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks Al I'll check it out .I really appreciate all you guys help. I can tell this forum is going to be a lot of help. it seems inevitable that I'll have to move to the CT of eventually . but it's not quite in my budget yet .just trying to get a little enjoyment out of it in the meantime. thanks again!