Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carving Rotary Lithopanes in 4” Inside Diameter PVC pipe (4 ½” Outside Diameter)

I had a problem of the same sort, I was using a drain plug with a hole in the center and wasn't centered right with the the pipe, make your end pieces, Dan showed me this and helped a lot I was trying to find the magical depth numbers and I went through 20' of pipe trying to do so.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by aokweld101 View Post
    I had a problem of the same sort, I was using a drain plug with a hole in the center and wasn't centered right with the the pipe, make your end pieces, Dan showed me this and helped a lot I was trying to find the magical depth numbers and I went through 20' of pipe trying to do so.
    Thank you so much. I will give it a try.
    Heather

As an experiment I just cut a pipe holder out of MDF. I wanted to see just how true it would spin. I mounted it on the rotary jig and it was not as good as I would have liked. (I have the belt off so I could spin it.) I think that this is a problem. We have to design better way to hold these pipes. I think the holder needs a fool proof centering feature. Something like a recess which fits over the drive wheel or a snug fit pin in the center. (Maybe we can also use the rotary jig itself to make it.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 11-09-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    As an experiment I just cut a pipe holder out of MDF. I wanted to see just how true it would spin. I mounted it on the rotary jig and it was not as good as I would have liked. (I have the belt off so I could spin it.) I think that this is a problem. We have to design better way to hold these pipes. I think the holder needs a fool proof centering feature. Something like a recess which fits over the drive wheel or a snug fit pin in the center. (Maybe we can also use the rotary jig itself to make it.)

That sounds great if we could come up with something to make it more reliable. How off was your readings when you used the pipe carrier 2?
    Heather

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234